Adventure Bike for Inseam Challenged? Tiger 900 GT LHR

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
My new Versys does not have a center stand either. It is a little bigger bother than I first considered.
I now have a rear work stand and am working on a McGyver front stand. Hope it works out so I don't need a second stand sitting around 98% of the time.

Brad

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Joe, I noticed that your bike is full of gas. You should take care of that issue.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Seems like without a center stand, keeping those chains lubed up on a long trip will be a real pain.

Boy, am I glad I don't have one of these things!! 🥳
I clean and lube my chains religiously. I need a center stand.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Met Frosty for lunch (outside) today and saw his new ride.
The first impression is how right it looks. Beautiful design, great fit and finish.
Sitting on it, one notices right away he has the low rider thin seat. It is what it is and what it is is like sitting on a board.
But it is easy to replace. The lowered frame is just right.
Starting the engine, I was quite startled. There is lots of plastic facing backwards and it seemed to amphlify the engine sounds and shoot them back to the rider's face. I road my XT over to his house so it was quite a difference. The next thing I noticed is my knees were splayed apart by the tank, where as on the XT, my knees dont generally touch the tank. I rode the bike around the block and managed to not crash it. The cable clutch is very light, the engine smooth, and the shifting easy. The suspension was very "taunt" and if it were my bike, I would have to soften it up with the adjustments. The display is not for a person who likes steam gages. It is a seven inch TFT and it is very bright and very adjustable in the manner of how you see what. . I didnt try it with my polorized sun glasses but assume it is much better than the current LCD displays. The world is going to digital displays....from aircraft to motorcycles, but I still like my analogue tachs.
I was very impressed with the bike. I dont think it is ME but I think for sure it is Frosty.

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Joe, I noticed that your bike is full of gas. You should take care of that issue.
I did that this morning and it was getting exciting at the end. :giggle: I saw the fuel low warning deep in farm country. I was kind of nervous watching range decreasing. The picture was taken at the fuel pump. I ended up putting 4.3 gal while on the side stand with 219 miles since fill up. The tank capacity is supposed to be 5.3 gal ??? The manual says Range is "Range to Empty - This is an indication of the predicted distance that can be traveled on the remaining fuel in the tank." :oops: I thought I was suppose to have a .92 gal reserve. 🤔

I am OK with 200 mile range, but I would like to know how far I can stretch.

1595974943499.jpeg

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I did that this morning and it was getting exciting at the end. :giggle: I saw the fuel low warning deep in farm country. I was kind of nervous watching range decreasing. The picture was taken at the fuel pump. I ended up putting 4.3 gal while on the side stand with 219 miles since fill up. The tank capacity is supposed to be 5.3 gal ??? The manual says Range is "Range to Empty - This is an indication of the predicted distance that can be traveled on the remaining fuel in the tank." :oops: I thought I was suppose to have a .92 gal reserve. 🤔

1595974943499.jpeg
Bingo fuel! ;) I forgot to tell you that the Triumph triples are thirsty....

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The tank capacity is supposed to be 5.3 gal ??? The manual says Range is "Range to Empty - This is an indication of the predicted distance that can be traveled on the remaining fuel in the tank." :oops: I thought I was suppose to have a .92 gal reserve. 🤔

That's pretty similar to my Tiger 800. I've seen tank volume listed at 5.3 and 5.0. Don't remember where I saw those figures but I do remember noting that they were slightly different. I think the "Miles to Empty" might be a little conservative. I ran mine down to 7 miles to empty on the gauge and it took 4.4 gal. @ 236 miles for an average of 53.6 mpg. I know I've run around 23x.x miles on a tank a few other times too. But I also remember filling up at 160 miles because the fuel gauge was dropping fast. I was on an interstate and going fast that time. The lowest "average MPG" I've seen is 38 and that was between Wall SD and Spearfish at 85 mph. On a road like BRP it will go 60+ mpg. Looking at "Riding Time per Tank" it is somewhere between 2 - 6 hours depending on speed. Fuel consumption goes up exponentially with speed. The only thing I have that doesn't do that is my tractors.

OH - Unlike the NT the Triumph average MPG and current MPG readings are very close to real. The NT showed very optimistic average MPG. The NT got better fuel mileage for sure. But I had the NT fuel mileage down to 38 MPG going fast and into a headwind crossing the Dakotas. So the NT was just as capable of getting poor mileage.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The NT fuel gauge is dead-on at half tank because I tested that a few times when the bike was new. Also tested at 1/4 tank and with the needle on top of the red band for "E." Because of the shape of the tank, it seems to barely move for miles and miles when topped off but gains speed rapidly below 1/2 tank.

For me, 220 miles is the usual time to look for a gas station but I don't have the high speeds you guys have in the west. I use a combination of the trip meter and the gas gauge to determine how quickly I need to stop for gas.

I thought the tank capacity was listed as "5.2 gals"?

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The NT fuel gauge is dead-on at half tank because I tested that a few times when the bike was new. Also tested at 1/4 tank and with the needle on top of the red band for "E." Because of the shape of the tank, it seems to barely move for miles and miles when topped off but gains speed rapidly below 1/2 tank.

For me, 220 miles is the usual time to look for a gas station but I don't have the high speeds you guy have in the west. I use a combination of the trip meter and the gas gauge to determine how quickly I need to stop for gas.

I thought the tank capacity was listed as "5.2 gals"?
I agree with what you've written about the NT's tank shape, fuel gauge, and mileage. Even out here in the west, I can almost always count on 220 miles range. I've never run the NT out of gas, but I've scared myself a few times. And I've experienced that low mileage when running 85mph in a strong wind in the Dakotas.

The tank capacity on the NT is listed as 5.2 gallons. I think Frosty was talking about the tank capacity on his new Triumph 900.

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
My Multistrada came with SW-Motech Trax top-loading panniers and mounts. The bags lock closed and lock to the mounts. They hold a LOT and seem well built but are too narrow to hold a full-face helmet. They pop on or off in 30 seconds and the mounts remove in under 2 minutes. They also made my engine crash bars, skid plate and center stand and all of it is pretty sturdy stuff. It’s good kit, as the Brits would say.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
My Multistrada came with SW-Motech Trax top-loading panniers and mounts. The bags lock closed and lock to the mounts. They hold a LOT and seem well built but are too narrow to hold a full-face helmet. They pop on or off in 30 seconds and the mounts remove in under 2 minutes. They also made my engine crash bars, skid plate and center stand and all of it is pretty sturdy stuff. It’s good kit, as the Brits would say.
Everytime I've looked at the Motech stuff I've been impressed. They have got their act together when it comes to adventure bikes.

Mike

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Here ya' go Joe! More farkle heaven!
Mike
Thanks Mike,
I am a modified seat (sheduled 8/28) short of being Fully Farkled. 😁
I think that SW-Motech is a German company. I would guess that all of their products have to pass the German TUV technical testing for safety. That probably adds to the $$, but nice stuff.

Top Bottom