Adventure Bike for Inseam Challenged? Tiger 900 GT LHR

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
congratulations! I'm wanting one of these very badly. Been watching all the YouTube videos just to placate myself for now. Maybe someday.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Frosty/Joe...When I started reading your post, I was not certain where you were headed. The bike looks like a real temptress!

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I was happy to trade the NT because I was not riding it. It is still the most comfortable motorcycle that I have ridden. When given the choice between the BMW F800GT and the NT for Spearfish, I took the BMW as I had been for shorter trips. I wanted a long distance camping bike, but V-Strom and the like are too tall. This worked out well for me.

With this purchase, I broke some personal vehicle purchase guidelines.
1.) Wait until the vehicle is "on sale" or dealer has incentives.
2.) Don't buy the first year of a model change.
3.) Don't buy a vehicle with a new motor design.

:LOL: The heck with those. Life is like a roll of toilet paper, it starts to go faster at the end! There is still a lot of Summer left. I like the dealership and feel good about our transactions.

Other than luggage, not many farkles required. :) ... :unsure:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I recommend auxiliary lights - front and rear.

Forgot to ask Joe, does this bike have a place to put your glasses? Mine fit well behind the windshield on the mounting bracket. And they stay there even if you drive off leaving them there, and they're still with the bike when you stop. At least that's what I heard some guy say.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I'm in Atlantic, IA at a VJMC rally. It's being sponsored by a Honda/Yamaha/KTM dealer. They have a '20 Tracer 900 GT on the showroom. I'm afraid to ask them to let me sit on it as I might like it too much. This olde farte has no business buying a new bike. Then this afternoon we are going by a Triumph/Royal Enfield dealer to look at their Brit Bike museum where I might come across a new Tiger..... Get thee behind me Satan......

😈

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I might come across a new Tiger..... Get thee behind me Satan......
Come on Mike - it ain't about Satan, its about a new motorcycle. You're retired and hopefully ready to ride a bunch. You ain't gonna get no younger you know. If a new bike adds to your motorcycling pleasure .. . . . . . . .

Or you could follow the lead of a few other (un-named) members who buy multiple motorcycles to enjoy (and farkle, and maintain, and insure, and store). I tried keeping my NT but it just didn't work because I didn't ride it.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
With 44% more hp and 25% less weight it was certain to feel better than the NT. It will feel heavier and less responsive when you hang the mounts and panniers on it. I know there is a big difference when I ride my 2016 800 with the panniers off. And I can see they fixed a bunch of stuff that I don't like about mine, particularly the windshield and dash display. I'm sure you've read the break-in instructions telling you to keep the RPMs down for the first 1000 miles. That's kind of hard to do with a motor that is so willing to just keep pulling so willingly.

Enjoy your new ride. And take that tall guy (what's-his-name) with you.
You know what I cant figure out?...Frosty sent me a video of the engine performance charts comparing the old 800 I rode and the new 900. The charts look cool, at least, but no big diffferences. Then I remembered back in the dark ages of the last century when motorcycle magazines used to publish the charts as well as the real world quarter mile times, top speed, even roll on performance.
Those days are gone. We all are smart enough to know that given any bike, to go even 10 percent faster takes a whale of a bunch of HP. Way more than 10 percent. I was very happy with the 800 I rode as far as power and smoothness. I am sure this is a very nice motor...but in the real world, is it that much faster than the 800?.
If you look at the BMW equivolant bikes, they seem to be Missing in Action. I could not find the 2 year old F750/F850 bikes on the official website and now there is an (ugly) F900. Still a Chineese engine but does it too have a cam belt? Frosty's bike is the one to buy, IMHO, if you love electronics like he does. I dont know why it has to cost as much as a new current FJR but it is a good bike for Frosty. It fits him. I will keep my Suzuki XR D650 and get it lowered if I feel the need. $8250 plus license title and tax.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Come on Mike - it ain't about Satan, its about a new motorcycle. You're retired and hopefully ready to ride a bunch. You ain't gonna get no younger you know. If a new bike adds to your motorcycling pleasure .. . . . . . . .

Or you could follow the lead of a few other (un-named) members who buy multiple motorcycles to enjoy (and farkle, and maintain, and insure, and store). I tried keeping my NT but it just didn't work because I didn't ride it.
Way true. When you look at a bike in your stable and you dont ride it, its time to trade it off. I am not sorry I sold my Concours C10 and while I have fond memories of my NT, I dont miss it a bit. I have three entirely different bikes from each other to chose from. They are all fun in their own way. The NT was a jack of all trades and a master of none. If it was the only bike available, I could have been very happy touring on it in my remaining years. But it would never have brought on an uncontrolable smile like my present 3 do....

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I was happy to trade the NT because I was not riding it. It is still the most comfortable motorcycle that I have ridden. When given the choice between the BMW F800GT and the NT for Spearfish, I took the BMW as I had been for shorter trips. I wanted a long distance camping bike, but V-Strom and the like are too tall. This worked out well for me.

With this purchase, I broke some personal vehicle purchase guidelines.
1.) Wait until the vehicle is "on sale" or dealer has incentives.
2.) Don't buy the first year of a model change.
3.) Don't buy a vehicle with a new motor design.

:LOL: The heck with those. Life is like a roll of toilet paper, it starts to go faster at the end! There is still a lot of Summer left. I like the dealership and feel good about our transactions.

At our age, where we dont fill up our car tank all the way and dont buy green bananas, this is the most fun way to purchase anything! The ONLY thing that counts is if we are happy. Some fool once said, "Money cant buy happiness" He didnt have money!!!! LOL!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I'm in Atlantic, IA at a VJMC rally. It's being sponsored by a Honda/Yamaha/KTM dealer. They have a '20 Tracer 900 GT on the showroom. I'm afraid to ask them to let me sit on it as I might like it too much. This olde farte has no business buying a new bike. Then this afternoon we are going by a Triumph/Royal Enfield dealer to look at their Brit Bike museum where I might come across a new Tiger..... Get thee behind me Satan......

😈

Mike
Would that be the Iowa dealer who speicalizes in brit bikes in rural Iowa? Post pics!!!! I might stop there if Oshkosh happens next year.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Some fool once said, "Money cant buy happiness" He didnt have money!!!! LOL!
And there you go -- I don't have money or I'd buy a new and different kind of motorcycle happiness. As it is, I just (pretend to) ignore people who brag about their stable bikes for every purpose! 😏

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Would that be the Iowa dealer who speicalizes in brit bikes in rural Iowa? Post pics!!!! I might stop there if Oshkosh happens next year.
That would be the one! In the middle of nowhere, but nice folks. Huge selection of Triumph and Royal Enfield. An immense parts dept. that you walk thru to get to the vintage bike showroom. Many of the vintage bikes are available for sale if you are so inclined. I almost picked up an Ariel Square Four for a mere $12.5k, wasn't my colors though. I forgot to mention, it was Baxter Cycles in Marne, IA.

Mike

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I sat on both the Yammy and the Triumph. I liked em both but the Triumph would get the mod if I was buying. The Yammy was the better equipped but I had difficulty in kicking my right leg high enough to clear the panniers. The bike has a big "bustle".

Mike

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
Looks like a sweet bike, Frosty. Now comes the expensive part...the FARKLES!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
That would be the one! In the middle of nowhere, but nice folks. Huge selection of Triumph and Royal Enfield. An immense parts dept. that you walk thru to get to the vintage bike showroom. Many of the vintage bikes are available for sale if you are so inclined. I almost picked up an Ariel Square Four for a mere $12.5k, wasn't my colors though. I forgot to mention, it was Baxter Cycles in Marne, IA.

Mike
Pics pics pics!
a buy bike.jpg

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I sat on both the Yammy and the Triumph. I liked em both but the Triumph would get the mod if I was buying. The Yammy was the better equipped but I had difficulty in kicking my right leg high enough to clear the panniers. The bike has a big "bustle".

Mike
I dont get it. Maybe Dirtflyer can help us out.....do Bikes made in the Japanese market stand shorter? Those guys couldnt possibly get a leg over those bikes? My new ex-wife Ruriko doesnt seem to have a problem...a ruriko.jpg

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Dropped a farkle order off at the dealer. Things are relatively less expensive than BMW or Honda. Givi made Triumph luggage is 20-30% cheaper than Givi charges for same item, plus the dealer gave me a nice discount.

Took a break-in ride to the top of Mt Spokane. I have taken the same ride on the NT.
Mt Spokane E slope chair. Sign says Alibi, (black Diamond run).
1595812572261.jpeg
Mt Spokane W Slope chair.
1595812789321.jpeg

Things I like:
Wide, smooth power band. Plenty of it.
Cruise Control nicely integrated with the Ride by Wire throttle.
Mirrors over hands on handlebars. Old school but nice change.
Fit and finish is nice quality.
Some nicely thought out extras.
Things not keen about:
No center stand for LHR. I just ordered a regular stand and might have to McGyver something.
Still warming up to a motorcycle with a beak.
Speed seems to register 3-4 mph too high.
Jury is out Things:
Windshield is small, but seems very effective. There is a bar to make one hand manual raise or lower.
Seat is small but OK so far. Hard to tell what hour 5 will be like.
Tablet display for Instruments. Easy to read in any light. No reflections. This has been pretty easy to get used to and has many options. Instead of having a Trip or Mileage reading on the primary page, you have to change screens. There is a phone storage compartment with a usb connection under the pillion seat. The idea is to store/charge your phone while it is connected to the bike by Bluetooth. I think that I can do the same with my phone and Sena.

GT Display, Tachometer page: RPM, MPH, Gear, Riding mode symbol. Left side- fuel and OAT. Right side - Coolant Temp and time. There are various visual schemes for the RPM (If it is changing that fast, it might be hard to read the digits :).)
1595814323557.jpeg

Cell phone storage/charging. Motorcycle or 130+ mph cell phone?
1595814569361.jpeg

Top Bottom