Cee Bailey's

Igo

So what was the results when you moved from the stock windshield to a +2 Cee Baileys? I really like the stock shield under normal conditions but it did not help much in serious cross winds and we have serious cross winds here.
I have a new helmet and it is a lot more helmet than anything I've had before. I'm thinking that there may be a bit more buffeting with the larger helmet and smaller windscreen. So, what is the benefit of getting the Cee Baileys?

CoolNT

The Cee-Bailey's +2 has a flip. There are arguments (pro's/con's) on having a flip. All I can say is I don't experience any turbulence. I wear a FF ARAI vector helmet. I generally keep the shield at the mid point where it's just below my line of sight. At the highest setting, it keeps the wind away and is very quiet. Again, this all can be very subjective. My .02.

CoolNT

Just a quick update: I had to run an errand this morning and rode my bike. I got up to 75 mph on the freeway paying careful attention to buffeting. Did not experience any. There was wind noise due to the position where the shield was - at mid level which is just below my line of sight. Again, I'm almost 5' 8" with a 30" inseam.

Igo

Is the Cee Bailey wider? Does the flip do something to the mechanics of wind? Is it indeed quieter? Is rain deflection better. Are there forces introduced that better tame cross winds at speed. Was gas mileage and torque at speed reduced? Improved? Was there any effect to the bike's handling after the windshield was added? Maybe few people lived with their stock shield long enough to weigh these things?
My new helmet is fantastic in ways I never thought of but it is barely confined behind the stock shield and gets beat up a bit in a cross wind; just a tad noisier than I'd like.

Igo

Well I've always worn half helmets and the shell doesn't act like a resonant chamber like full face helmets. I've never used earplugs on a motorcycle before but will if need be. I do all the hearing testing for 400 people at work and I have really good hearing and understand the importance of wearing hearing protection. That black full face doesn't create noise. It's the little things hanging off and attached to the new helmet that create noise. I'll have earplugs for sure. Right now I'm hoping a windshield will help.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Maybe few people lived with their stock shield long enough to weigh these things?

My OEM windshield was noisy, I could not position it to not blast air at my helmet in the lower two positions while trying to stay cool in the heat.

The "flip" pushes the air up as it acts as a airfoil. The advantage of a flip is you get the same air management effect with a flip as you do with adding more inches with a flat windshield, all without looking like a barn door. And a smaller windshield is less effected by cross winds than a larger one all other things being equal.

My +2 "flip" allows the air to hit me in the chest at position one with out creating a racket! :D In position three I have nice "still air" and I am still looking over the top of the windshield. Windshields are a lot like helmets in that two people can get very dissimilar results with the same product. Just remember "bigger" is not necessarily "better" especially when riding in the heat!... I can wear more to stay warm, I don't want a "barn door" that makes me want strip off gear to work on my suntan in the summer! :eek1:

Igo

Very good stuff. Thank you sir. People say they really like it but there isn't much out there about the actual attributes.

elizilla

I ordered the MRA Vario because it has all these attributes in the same screen. Same height, or plus 2, or plus 4, varying degrees of flip, laminar flow. I can try them all, and switch at any time.

Igo

Well, I just ordered my luggage rack and the light grey +2. Already it just doesn't seem quite right if you and I are not adding stuff to the twins on Saturday mornings.

Igo

Absolutely.
I stayed here messing with motorcycle stuff while I should have been on my way to work this morning. I forgot to get back to you after I got home. Can you meet me at 9AM? Swing me back by here so I can grab my car and some tools and we'll sit the box up there.
A guy I work with will take me back in the afternoon when it's done. He lives right around the corner.
Do us a favor, email me a copy of the instructions. I want to look at the tool requirement list. I'll send you my email address.

Igo

I rode with my Honda screen all the way up this weekend as it was pretty cool outside. Noise in my helmet was greatly reduced but I had to be sitting 'just-so' behind the wind shield. I went ahead and ordered the Cee Bailey +2 hoping that I can run it lower and not have to hold myself in the quite zone. Cee Bailey +2 light gray on the way.

CoolNT

In that respect, the +2 works perfectly for me. I'm 5' 8" with a 30" inseam though. Have ridden in 30's temp with it all the way up and don't have to stay in a particular position. It works great for me and is very quiet at that position.

Igo

I'm 5-11 and my inseam is supposed to be 30 inches but I can easily flat foot the NT by an inch. It's winter so I'm riding with the stock windshield text to the top. On the top I'm looking through the edge.
My Cee Bailey will be here Wednesday but it will be going back to Cee Bailey. I told them not to ship it FedEx but they did anyway. Fedex won't deliver here unless there is somebody to take it and I can't be here to pick it up so after 3 days it goes back to California. NOT a happy camper.

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
They should leave a ticket with a phone number that you can call to arrange pickup at their local station. Just call and tell them to hold at their center and go pick it up.

I'm 5-11 and my inseam is supposed to be 30 inches but I can easily flat foot the NT by an inch. It's winter so I'm riding with the stock windshield text to the top. On the top I'm looking through the edge.
My Cee Bailey will be here Wednesday but it will be going back to Cee Bailey. I told them not to ship it FedEx but they did anyway. Fedex won't deliver here unless there is somebody to take it and I can't be here to pick it up so after 3 days it goes back to California. NOT a happy camper.

Igo

They should leave a ticket with a phone number that you can call to arrange pickup at their local station. Just call and tell them to hold at their center and go pick it up.
I appreciate it but I can't get there during their hours.

Igo

Seems like you and I are installing the same stuff on the same days. Mine is probably going on Saturday morning. Let me know if I can help.

Igo

I installed my +2 light gray tonight along with my new Corbin seat. The +2 is wider than the stock. I don't know much about performance yet. I'll find out in the morning.
The Honda windshield was sexier and more stream lined but this one I am sure will offer much more weather protection without taking much away from the bikes overall aerodynamics.

Igo

I only rode 10 miles but in a massive cross wind so I couldn't really tell about performance. We'll know soon enough. Rainy this weekend but looking like the 70 for next weekend.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
10 miles but in a massive cross wind so I couldn't really tell about performance

Nothing helps in massive crosswinds. I think the higher screens may cost us a bit in mileage, even in crosswinds. I rode 90+ miles to Sterling and back the other night in a strong (maybe even massive) crosswind and only got 39mpg, 2nd lowest I've ever gotten.

Top Bottom