Cee Bailey's

Igo

Nothing helps in massive crosswinds. I think the higher screens may cost us a bit in mileage, even in crosswinds. I rode 90+ miles to Sterling and back the other night in a strong (maybe even massive) crosswind and only got 39mpg, 2nd lowest I've ever gotten.
I rode 60 miles today in an L pattern. South then east then west then north with a steady 30 mph wind out of the SW. I don't know what the gust were but they were wicked. Doing this L pattern I got 45 degree angles each of 4 ways. I really think the windshield is going to offer up much better protection and I don't think it is going to restrict the movement of the NT as much as I originally thought but still it wasn't a fair assessment. A calmer day will come soon enough. One thing about the NT, the heavily paneled smooth side help the bike slice head on into wind but turn the bike into a sail from port or starboard. So of the riding I did today was next to miserable.

Igo

+4 is going to restrict air flow unless you are a tall guy like Rick. I'm 5'10.5 and 30 inseam and am looking through the top edge on 4 and through it at 5. I have a Corbin seat which is .5 inches lower than the stock seat. MIne Cee Baileys is a +2.

CoolNT

You guys that just got your Cee-Bailey's either +4 or +2 can you measure the widest point across for me? I got me Cee-Bailey's back in early December and just curious if they made some mods. Thanks.

CoolNT

Thanks. I think I have the same where mine measures 19 3/4".

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If anybody out there with that kind of bike setup & physical configuration could weigh in before I spend I'd appreciate it.
I am 5"10", as for weight let's just say I'm well rounded, and have a 29/30 inch inseam... I have MCL's risers and the +2 Light Grey "flip"....it is perfect for me...

Igo

I rode in the interstate at length today. At interstate speeds I had my +2 at the thirs setting and because of the flip, the faster I went the quiter it got at my helmet because the wind spread further away from my helmet at greater speeds. This was a good thing.

CoolNT

I also have the +2 but I'm 5' 8". With the windshield all the way down, I get a nice stream of air blasting at my chest and above but oddly no head buffeting (which is a good thing). I do however get considerable air flow in my helmet creating more noise, but with ear plugs, a non issue. At highway speeds, at the mid point setting, I get a bit of air flow and noise in my helmet but nothing intolerable. The best setting for me (at highway) is the fourth setting but the top edge is in my line of site, so have to keep adjusting with some through and some over.

Igo

I stared with my +2 at setting 4 today. It was quite behind the screen but I could not tolerate looking through the top edge of the screen so I moved it to setting 3. It was much noisier but still no buffeting. The noise in our helmets has much more to do with our choice of helmets, I think, than it does with wind. These multi-task helmets have all these ports and do-dads all over them and the shell works like a drum. More of what we get is an amplified reverberation of all these little catches and air snags all over the helmet. The shell is just an amplifier or more like a sound trap. My helmet at 85 mph with the shield at setting 3 was steady as a rock but the noise is awful. I am using ear plugs, for motorcycle riding, for the first time in my life. But I don't notice them because I've been wearing them for work for many years.

SFeighner

I just added the +2 dark gray windscreen. It looks very nice. IMNSHO.

windshield.jpg

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got one of the "original" CeeBaileys, back when the holes weren't quite in the right place. I rode in to Denver to have lunch with Chuck today and there was a strong 90-degree crosswind. It makes the windshield lower itself. It went down from the next to the highest to the lowest over the course of about 25 miles. There was noise from the crosswind, but it was pretty smooth behind the screen.

On the way home, the wind had picked up probably 10-15 mph since this morning. Dead downwind on the tollway around the east edge of Denver, I was getting 76mpg at 75mph for probably 8-10 miles. When I turned east, I was really getting beat up. The old neck is sore tonight.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Phil,

You need to call Cee Bailey and get a replacement. Ask for Joe in Tech Support as he is one of the best Customer Service folks I've dealt with in years! I had a replacement in less than a week after I called him...

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Well this thread settles it, I need the +4. 6'2" and the stock shield only protects up to about my nose. When I picked up my bike yesterday i had a strong crosswind and it was about 45 degrees before windchill. It was a cold first ride and the wind beat me up.

maupen

I agree with Rick, I'm 6,4" and I had installed the Cee Bailey +4 Dark Grey ( looks great with my Red NT!!) and I prefer stay out of turbulence. When I'm at home I commute about 80 miles in I75, with a lot of truck traffic, but we don't have heavy crosswinds in South Florida.
I used to ride in my home country with HEAVY winds ( I'm from Argentina), and I think that I had enough for my entire life!! I had my wind share riding in the Patagonia for several years!!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
This is def on my list of things to get, right under a throttle lock. As for a road trip vehicle this is quickly taking over for trips so the screen and lock are high up there in long haul comfort. I am trying to behave and just enjoy the bike but mods are fun.

Igo

I've tried not to spend a bunch extra on my bike but I did not hold back when I felt to extra expense went directly towards making this bike a sun up to sun down, day in and day out road pounder. I'm just now there with the GPS install. The Cee Baileys is worth the extra protection.

darrenza

Does anyone know where I can get a Cee Bailey +4", dark grey screen from? Cee Bailey's themselves seems to be a bit more expensive than MLC.

clemmel

I see a few of you have put the dark gray windshield on the bike and I too like the look of it. My question is what do you do if you ride at night? If you get caught out after dark and you want the shield up, it looks like you'll have the equivalent of looking through sunglasses at night. This may be fine for Corey Hart, but has anyone done this and what's their assessment of it?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I see a few of you have put the dark gray windshield on the bike and I too like the look of it. My question is what do you do if you ride at night? If you get caught out after dark and you want the shield up, it looks like you'll have the equivalent of looking through sunglasses at night. This may be fine for Corey Hart, but has anyone done this and what's their assessment of it?
I got a light smoke one for the reason you mention. It actually almost appears clear. I would assume if you had a dark colored one you would have to lower it at night so that you could see over it. I do so little night riding this would probably work for me but I got a light one anyway since other than looks I was not sure what the dark one brings to the party.

Top Bottom