EV Update

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I foresee a business opportunity to sell a system that jettisons your EV out of the garage into the driveway if high garage temp or smoke is detected... for insurance purposes.

Hi temp or smoke detected > Garage door opens and wheel dollies unluck > EV pushed out to neighbors house driveway and retained > garage door shut > insurance rates increased. It's a complete system.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
The WSJ is saying most cars in Europe that are new are leased. It says the EVs coming off of lease now after 3 years? Nobody wants them.
Err... even a leasing (at the end the most expensive way to obtain a vehicle) still needs to be financed, like the 30% down payment at the beginning, then the monthly rates including a full coverage (the insurer is picked by the leasing company)...

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I'm sure that the leasing companies that jumped into the EV excitement at the beginning are now feeling the scorch on the seat of their pants. Based upon the excitement in the market I'm sure that they packed plenty of profit into the acquisition cost and since the market was so "hot" for EV's they guesstimated that they would have a high residual value and priced the lease accordingly, Now that reality has reared its ugly head they are finding that the residual value has plummeted on their closed end leases and they are taking it in their shorts. In the event it was an open end lease, the lessee takes it in the shorts. ST1100Y is absolutely correct, unless you have an unusual tax situation in your business and can write off the entire cost of the lease, it is never wise to lease vs buy regardless of what the lessor may tell you.

Mike

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
EV fires are attracting a lot of attention lately as fire departments struggle to deal with them. Has anyone heard of home owners insurance companies refusing insurance coverage if an EV is garaged within? If not refusing coverage then extracting an additional premium for this coverage? I live in a rural area where the cost of homeowners insurance is predicated on the distance of your home from a fire hydrant or pond. I am close to neither so my coverage is more than if my home was in town. The info that I've read on EV fires indicates that the fire departments are finding that it takes about 36,000 gallons of water to extinguish an EV fire. Most of the rural FD tankers I'm familiar with are ~5,000 gallon capacity. Something to think about if you are considering an EV and live in the sticks like I do.

Mike
It always pays to ask before buying. How much to insure my EV or plug in? What happens to the home owners insurance? Umbrella policy?

Reactions: ett

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Err... even a leasing (at the end the most expensive way to obtain a vehicle) still needs to be financed, like the 30% down payment at the beginning, then the monthly rates including a full coverage (the insurer is picked by the leasing company)...
I am not a lease person but here is how lease payments are calculated at one dealer in one state in the US.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Are parking garages STRONG ENOUGH for EVs? | MGUY Australia
Very interesting. Thanks! I would hope architecture magazine or whatever they read takes this into account, but that is only for new buildings. Take an old building....now put in an EV pickup with a heavy load in the back.....

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I mentioned the parking garage quandary some time ago as NY City officials expressed concern that their older structures could be compromised by the additional weight of EV's. I'm glad to see that some of the unintended consequences of EV's are now being examined before a catastrophe ensues.

Mike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
This is a great example on how to make friends and influence enemies...............................................................................................................................NOT. A bunch idiots.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Well, whoever posted it on FB thought it was hilarious......
:censored:

Mike
After I looked up how it really happened, I didnt think it was funny either....but its interesting..at least they saved the building.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I won't ever own a Tesla for the reasons cited in that article. They weren't even on my long list, much less my short list, when we replaced the Kona. Hertz will survive the financial hit, Joe Average Tesla owner will lose his butt and there isn't anything that can be done about it.:rolleyes: I consider Tesla a cult with a very unpredictable leader.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I'm looking forward to see how Musk gets Tesla out of the very public charging mess in Chicago in particular and the northern tier in general. I also saw he is demanding Tesla's Board increase his stake in Tesla to 25% of the company for him to stick around. Stuff like this is why I will never own a Tesla regardless of what his PR team and fan boys say... :rolleyes:

FYI the temps in the low teens here have reduced my Mach-E's estimated range from ~260 miles to 210 miles. I think the car has also learned that when my wife drives she turns on everything to do with heat. The main heater is set at 70˚F, the heated seat at the max Level 3, heated steering wheel on, heated mirrors on, and the heated rear window. Plus the headlights since it is so overcast. I'm surprised I don't see a glow under the car from the battery discharging when she backs out of the garage. But since I have my own Level 2 charger in the garage I don't care since if necessary I could plug it in every night. Those folks up North are learning the hard way not to depend on the public charger network.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I saw that on a network evening news show. Cars waiting for hours for a charger. No heat in the cars, so the owners were freezing. They even showed a Tesla being hauled away on a roll-back trailer. I said to my wife, "Another spike being driven into the heart of the EV movement."
I am going no further up the chain than hybrid. And that is plugged into a Battery Tender Jr when not being driven, and a Vector jump box always in the car when I'm in it, or in the house staying warm and charged.

Top Bottom