Lower fairing

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm hoping for 250-300,000 miles. It sounds as if couriers in London get over 200,000 miles fairly often. I'd guess that I'm easier on a bike than a London courier.

Dubs

For sure !!

So if you are moderator on this forum, you are not moderator on the NT !! That's great !

Please keep us informed !!

Bike
2010 ABS Silver
I paid 350€ for a painted one in 2010.
No idea for shipping price.
I have been looking for this lower fairing as well...as with Chuck, it would depend upon the cost as to whether I could afford it. But it is the best looking one I have seen!

Please keep us informed. Also, does the maker have a web site? There may be other items that may be suitable.

Thank you for your help!

Mike

Dubs

Here is the supplier web site.

Unfortunatly they stopped the lower fairing production.

http://www.automotodesign.com

I wrote them they could have new customers for NT items.

Keep you informed if they change their mind.

Alain

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I'm hoping for 250-300,000 miles. It sounds as if couriers in London get over 200,000 miles fairly often. I'd guess that I'm easier on a bike than a London courier.
When Despatch Riding (Couriering) in London in the '80s I used to change the oil every week and full service the bike once a fortnight. Because we were Self-employed (I think most still are) we looked after our bikes very well indeed. Those who leased their bikes gave them a real thrashing!

We averaged about 1000 miles (1600km) a week in and around London. Though it wasn't unknown to get a London/Aberdeen return for the oil companies, about 1050 miles. I once did a London/Newcastle return, about 600 miles, in 10 hours on a CX500.

CSMRider

Haven't heard much talk of the undercowl Honda makes. I just bought on from David Silver Spares, it came it quickly, and was fairly easy to put on. Hope it provides protection from the wind and rain. It is a fairly simple device. I heard a guy tipped his bike over and it destroyed it. I'll let you know how it works...

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Whats the matter with the lower fairing on the current NT?
There is not a lower fairing on the "current NT"... There isn't even one offered in the US market. For the optional Honda one, or most aftermarket versions, you have to buy it in Europe...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've had the OEM undercowl on my bike for about the last 20,000 miles. It gives some added protection in wet and cold conditions. My boots are still wet on the outside of the foot area, but with these boots and with their predecessors, my feet have never gotten wet. I've ridden for 200+ miles in temps of 10-15F and my feet have been cold, but not frozen or miserable.

I don't think I could have done that without the undercowl.

I've also dropped the bike with no damage to the undercowl.

It's not as pretty as the Skidmarx undercowl that RedLdr1 has, but I'm happy with it.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
IMHO, I think this one looks far better than the other ones that people are posting on here. Nice clean lines. I sure would be interested if anyone knows where it came from.
Ah, the infamous Duncan Fraser lower cowl... Duncan posted that picture on the UK forum, generated a lot of interest, and then later said the manufacture, somewhere in the Balkans, went under... Several folks their tried to locate one but no one ever did that I saw...

I went with the SkidMarx Lower Cowl which is a bit "busier" to say the least... But it works very well at keeping me drier in the rain...

Todd091870

I avoid riding in wet weather. Cold weather is ok. Too bad about mfg it is a nice looking fairing.

Bike
Silver NT700V
On the stock bike there is no lower fairing (cowl). It must be ordered from a UK dealer. I personally like the lok of the OEM version. To me it adds balance to the bikes appearance. It is one of those things that looks better in "real life" than it does in photos. It is quite effective too.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have the Honda OEM undercowl and it makes the bike more comfortable when it gets cold. I also think that it adds a lot to the looks of the bike.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
i agree. While it appears to be overpriced for what you get it works well, is reasonably easy to install and it lets you do an oil change without having to remove anything.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
OK, Frosty and I have been talking about getting the OEM undercowl. How much does David Silver Spares want for it delivered to our door?
Would everyone who uses them say they are worth that amount of money? I like the OEM hand protectors even though their protection range is very small
and I have no problem with the cost of the big lids.....but If I am riding in anything more than a sprinkle I put USGI boot covers over my riding boots even if I am
on my full faring Concours C10.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It seems to me as if I paid about $300 for the undercowl delivered from David Silver Spares, UK. But there's now David Silver Spares, US (www.davidsilverspares.com) Matt there was able to get me a single big lid, eliminating the need to buy them in pairs. So, after one of my big lids cracked internally (due to latch failure), I was able to get a single new lid from them delivered to my door for only (?) $197.00 The lid cost $180 and delivery anywhere in the US for anything they sell is only $17 as opposed to the $90-100 it cost me to get a pair of lids from the UK.

The reason they can do that is that they do a bulk shipment. Due to the weather on the east coast, the container that had my big lid didn't leave the UK until Jan 8 after being ordered on Dec 4. But Matt had told me that there could be delays before he accepted my order and, since I still have my little lids, it wasn't a problem for me to wait a couple of months. He has told me to expect it in early February.

I'll bet that if you asked, and especially if others on the Forum wanted them, Matt would be willing to order undercowl for you and others.

As far as their effectiveness, I'd say that my feet and lower legs stay about as dry as they did on my C-10 Connie. As you know that's not perfectly dry, but I can tell you that it's a heck of a lot dryer than they would be on non-undercowled NT! Plus as someone else said, even though it's not fancy, its looks seem to enhance the bike. Who knows, some of the cost may be Honda's attempt to amortize the wind tunnel rental. :)

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I've got an order in to David Silver for Large Lids in Silver. Matt from David Silver sent me an E-Mail about the order:

"I can confirm 08F71-MEW-800 will be arriving early FEB with the pannier lid set’s you have purchased. The price for the Under cowl will be $300.00. If you wish to add this to your order ###. I can do this without any extra postage cost. I still have your information from your last order. Please advise.
Regards
Matt"

I am not sure how many large lid sets or Under Cowls they are shipping. I am happy they are providing a service that HONDA has failed to provide.

Top Bottom