Sipping the EV Kool-Aid Update at 1K miles

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
It has been a little over a month and 1,000 miles since we brought our Kona home. I've attached a photo of the overall Accumulated Info dash display of the results to date.

We've driven 1002.6 miles
Averaged 4.4 Miles Per kWh
So 1002.6 / 4.4 = 227.8kWh
A kWh costs approximately $0.14 at my EMC

Total cost for electricity is 227.8kWh * $0.14 = $32.48 total cost.
Cost Per Mile $32.48 / 1002.6 = $0.032 per mile for electricity.

Those numbers are not hard though as I've used "Free" public chargers more than once so I didn't actually pay the entire $32.48. Around $25.00 for power would probably be a fair estimate.

If I had drove my F-150 EcoBoost Hybrid those 1,000 miles, at 24MPG, it would use approximately 42 gallons of gasoline, at $3.29 per gallon. Or approximately $0.14 per mile. Hmm, that maybe why I've only driven the F-150 about 40 miles in the last month.:think1:

So Yes, an EV is relatively cheap to charge. But when you add up all initial start up, and ongoing, costs it will take a very long time, as in years :old1:, for it to break even over a comparable sized ICE hybrid or PHEV. The good news is my wife really likes the Kona and enjoys driving it so that makes it worth having it.

Kona Display at 1k Miles.jpg

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
My wife hates Raindrop. Change comes slowly for her. 3.8 miles per kWh so far. I do have a heavy foot and live on the side of moon mtn.

Bike
2010 NT700V
The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. ENJOY.

I have a Maverick LOADED Lariat Hybrid on order. Might never see it. Do I need it? NOPE. Have a pefectly fine RAV4 in the garage. BUT . . . I want a new toy., so I ordered the Ford. More gadgets a geegaws to fool with.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Hell, anything that keeps Momma happy is worth it...... I'm just sayin'....
Truer words have never been spoken...

3.8 miles per kWh so far. I do have a heavy foot and live on the side of moon mtn.
I've found that the Kona is like most hybrids we've owned, it doesn't do as well at speeds over around 55MPH. I can get to the storage lot where we store our RV by two easy routes. The first one involves mostly Interstate highways at 70MPH. The second route is mostly secondary Georgia numbered four lane roads averaging 45MPH. On route one I see the trip average around 4.0 miles per KWh. Route two is usually around 5.3 mile per kWh. Yet more proof that the faster a brick moves through the air the more power it takes.:)

If I really want to ruin my miles per kWh I put it in Sport Mode. Lousy economy but a blast to drive. I have to be alone in the car though so SWMBO doesn't catch me chirping "her" tires. :burnout:

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I came about finding a pen to write a check for a new toy, a new Miata. The dealer was going to give me a great deal on a new one. Went home and gave it some thought and realized, 1. I don't have room in the garage, 2. I don't even drive my truck enough as it is (3000 miles a year) 3. I have too many motorcycle that need to be ridden. and 4. It is just getting to much of a hassle to get in and out of a Miata. Maybe if I had room in the garage, so as to just go sit and look at it. Too many toys now with no time to give them the attention they deserve. O yes by the way I also have wife.SAM_5817.JPGSAM_6105.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Who else remembers this guy from the past?

PXL_20230409_181749189.jpg

I couldn't resist when I saw him online. For those who don't know he is "Reddy Kilowatt" who was first used in the 1920's by utility companies. See Here. Somehow he seemed appropriate for an EV.:)

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I worked at a power plant. In the machine shop they had an old original clock with Reddy Kilowatt on it. He's been around a while.

Arknt

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I remember as a little shaver getting a Reddy Kilowatt comic book about electrical safety from our utility. Also, Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks was impounded by Bagnell Dam that was built by our utility, Union Electric in the 30's. On the south side of the dam was a huge neon Reddy Kilowatt that illuminated the whole area.

Mike

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I saw in the paper that Walmart is gonna make a major committment to charging stations.. 7/11 and Subway too.
Walmart sees this as a profit making venture...wonder what they will cost and if you reserve them on line?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I came about finding a pen to write a check for a new toy, a new Miata. The dealer was going to give me a great deal on a new one. Went home and gave it some thought and realized, 1. I don't have room in the garage, 2. I don't even drive my truck enough as it is (3000 miles a year) 3. I have too many motorcycle that need to be ridden. and 4. It is just getting to much of a hassle to get in and out of a Miata. Maybe if I had room in the garage, so as to just go sit and look at it. Too many toys now with no time to give them the attention they deserve. O yes by the way I also have wife.SAM_5817.JPGSAM_6105.JPG
We are on the same boat and its the Titanic. I have three cars, wife has one. I have three motorcycles....its a good thing I dont feel the need for any other bike just now nor any other car...the need for more toys seems to have passed at 74 years old and the need for more cruises is increasing. Gas here at Spokane at the cheep stations is right at $4 a gallon....

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
wonder what they will cost and if you reserve them on line?
Just like gas prices it will vary based on the locality. I'd guess if you're in a PG&E area it will cost a lot more than it will here as the cost per KWH is significantly higher at PG&E. Plus local taxes of course.;) I doubt if they will allow reservations....too easy to tie up limited facilities for the 50% who won't show up.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Get the Miata! I have had mine for just over a year and love it. I did some rearranging in the garage and found room for the cars and the motorcycles. You will find that the Miata is a lot more fun to drive than the truck..... it is a very playful little car. Wives love 'em!

Mike

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
We are on the same boat and its the Titanic. I have three cars, wife has one. I have three motorcycles....its a good thing I dont feel the need for any other bike just now nor any other car...the need for more toys seems to have passed at 74 years old and the need for more cruises is increasing. Gas here at Spokane at the cheep stations is right at $4 a gallon....
Fuel here in Australia at the cheap stations is currently $7.26 per US gallon

Seagrass

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Added a welding receptacle between my garage doors and run the EVSE out the door. Takes about an hour to replace an average day of use now.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Just like gas prices it will vary based on the locality. I'd guess if you're in a PG&E area it will cost a lot more than it will here as the cost per KWH is significantly higher at PG&E. Plus local taxes of course.;) I doubt if they will allow reservations....too easy to tie up limited facilities for the 50% who won't show up.
We are on a coop called Inland Power. I think they buy power from Avista....anyway, its water power and waste to energy power... I can tell you the gas prices have gone up over 20 cents in two days....its now over $4 at the cheep stations....I would be real interested in Walmart's business model here....as the number of EVs rise, maybe the charging stations will be frequented...but they seem to think they will make money...but to do that, they have to be used. People dont want to wait in line at these things....or worse yet, not get one at all if they need it. And you certainly dont want altercations like they have now for Handi cap sites....They pretty much put that bug to rest just by painting more sites for Handicap but Charging stations are expensive and there is that electric bill. I wont be around when the US reaches 50 percent EVs but I would like to know what people will be doing at camp grounds and hotels and motels in 20 years.
The free reservations only work at GreatClips...no skin off their butt if you dont show up....I am gonna guess they will adopt something like motel res system. You have till X time to cancel or there is a charge.
I am gonna guess that putting on the 50 miles driving around Spokane doing errands (and the place is spread out), people are gonna try and NOT use the walmart charge stations and that the cost per kilowatt will be much higher at the walmart fast charge stations than at home...if they care to do the math.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Local gas prices shot up immediately after the news of OPEC cutting its production then has slowly started to creep downward. It's now around $3.60-$3.70 for unleaded regular.

Top Bottom