Sipping the EV Kool-Aid Update at 1K miles

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I call BS on that one big time. They have been parking big SUVs and pick up trucks in those garages that weigh more than a EV. Someone is full of it...or trying to find an excuse to raise their fees.
Wayne, this was actually discussed by the City of New York. They were/are concerned that some of the older parking facilities could not handle the extra weight of the EV's. Also, some state DOTs are concerned that the extra weight from EV's will require more frequent highway maintenance and repairs. Since most states derive their highway revenue from gasoline tax, most EV's are getting a free ride as it were. The states are just now beginning to try to figure out how to get the EV's to pay their way.

Mike

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
New cars on hand at dealers (called "days supply") is growing which is a good thing but many of those are EVs.

No One In The U.S. Really Wants To Buy Electric Vehicles (jalopnik.com)

ps. I agree about EVs having to pay their share of the federal highway tax which comes mostly from sales of gasoline.
I think it will come down to a levy of n cents per mile based upon the vehicle classification. How that n cents per mile will be reported and verified remains to be seen. No matter what method is chosen, you can bet someone will squawk about it..... that much is certain ;)

Mike

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Wayne, this was actually discussed by the City of New York. They were/are concerned that some of the older parking facilities could not handle the extra weight of the EV's.
I don't doubt it was discussed. My point is the weight of other current popular vehicles you see in NYC. A Ford Expedition (5,837) / Explorer (4,853), Chevy Tahoe (5,866) / Suburban (6,121) / Cadillac Escalade (5,356) / Toyota Land Cruiser (5,851) / Jeep Wrangler (5,318) Wagoneer (6,244) and lets not forget the most popular vehicle in America, the Ford F-150 (5,794). All of these vehicles, except the Explorer, weigh more than a Tesla S (4,998) or a Hyundai Ioniq5 (4,414) or my little Hyundai Kona EV (3,767). So if you allow those SUV's / trucks to be parked in that "old" garage you had better not whine about a EV's weight. If they do whine it is just typical New York City BS. Do EV versions weigh more than gas versions of the same vehicle? Yes, they do...and so do the hybrid versions so that also needs to be added to their weight equation. Note: The vehicle weights listed are from Car and Driver or Hyundai's website.

Since most states derive their highway revenue from gasoline tax, most EV's are getting a free ride as it were. The states are just now beginning to try to figure out how to get the EV's to pay their way.
Well...that isn't quite the case. Twenty six states already charge EV's fees to make up for lost revenue at the gas pump. See Here In Georgia I pay a $210 annual EV Fee when I renew my plates. The state gas tax here is 30 cents a gallon. Divide $210 / $.30 = the equivalent of 700 gallons of gas taxes. 700 gallons times the 24MPG my truck gets means I'd need to drive it 16,800 miles annually to pay that much in gas taxes. I only average around 11K miles annually in the truck. That means I pay more state road tax with my EV than with my F-150. Cars that get better than my 24MPG are getting an ever bigger break. All simple math that is easy to compute. As for the other 24 states I can't help it if they are too slow to figure it out.:rolleyes: Since the Feds are subsidizing some EV's it will be hard for them to start charging any EV fees.

I still believe a Plug In Hybrid (PHEV) is a the best choice rather than an EV. Supposedly the Feds are going to force the PHEV manufacturers to get their EV portion range up to a minimum of 50 miles which would make them a even better choice. A pure EV, like my Kona, is not going to be the huge cost savings, when all costs are included, that some people claim, while a PHEV might do it.

I still enjoy driving the Kona, and more importantly so does SWMBO , so it is worth it to me. And when, not if, the next gas crunch hits I'm going to enjoy driving by the gas stations and waving at you guys waiting in line...:oops::rofl1:

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Have been driving my BEV for a little over six months now and still having fun. Hot weather (for the Northeast) is here, my car doesn't have a heat pump but AC uses much less power than heat. With no commute anymore and a fleet of ICE vehicles none of them are putting on many miles. The future may not be as terrible as many fear.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I find it interesting that most of the alleged EV fires are on European shippers. Hyundai, as in the shipping division, has not had a fire transporting all their EV's and hybrids here from Korea. Properly loading their ships so they don't capsize is another issue. :rolleyes: Right now blaming EV's is an easy out and a big fire, or a sunken ship, covers up a lot of evidence. If this keeps up Insurance companies are going to start charging ridiculous rates for carriers with an EV on board.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I am starting to see a lot more Tesla’s where I live. It’s about the only electric car I recognize. My daughters boy friend just bought a VW electric suv. It looks like an other ICE suv. Makes me think there are a lot more EV’s on the roads than I realized.

Top Bottom