Sipping the EV Kool-Aid Update at 1K miles

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
For years I was using 480v Three Phaze stuff. The plant had four (4) 13800 feeds coming in the building.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I would imagine that charging at 12 volts would take weeks instead of hours......
:rofl1:
..... amazing the difference a zero makes....

Mike
One post talked about wireless chargers in cars to charge cell phones. I was also talking about cell phones. If you charge your cell phone on 120 volts, I want to be there to watch.:nuke1:

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
One post talked about wireless chargers in cars to charge cell phones. I was also talking about cell phones. If you charge your cell phone on 120 volts, I want to be there to watch.:nuke1:
Hey, look at the bright side, at least the cell phone will reach 100% quickly :thumb:

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
For those of you interested in the transition to EVs effects on the power grid the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) has many articles. Some of the best ones have been combined in to a Free .pdf E-Book “The EV Transition Explained,” that you can download HERE. Do a Search on their main page for EVs and you'll find a lot more info.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
That makes more sense. I thought you were referring to charging an EV on 12V. BTW, I'll pass on charging my phone on 120V!
:thumb:
Mike

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
“The Biden administration unveiled the most aggressive tailpipe emissions ever crafted as part of its sweeping climate agenda and efforts to push Americans to buy electric vehicles (EV).

The vehicle pollution standards, proposed Wednesday by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and announced by the White House, will impact car model years 2027 through 2032. The White House said the regulations would "protect public health" by achieving carbon emission reductions of nearly 10 billion tons by 2055 and would save consumers an average of $12,000 over the lifetime of vehicles.

"Cars and truck manufacturers have made clear that the future of transportation is electric," the White House stated in a fact sheet. "The market is moving."
I saw the new standards....good luck meeting them....

Bike
2010 NT700V
I know a LOT of people who should have their phones plugged in to 120. 😄😄😄

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Interesting factoid. Wind power alone will produce 47 mil tons of waste per year by 2050. Its expensive but it can be used as fuel for fossil fuel plants. Making CO2.
Tell me again how EVs are zero emmision.
IMG_20230428_201443049_copy_1280x630.jpg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
China and India, with a combined population of 3 billion, are developing nations, and thus exempt from "green" initiatives.
With respect to greenhouse gases, the US and Canada are very "clean" nations. As you point out, the real culprits are the developing nations. Rather than spend a fortune trying to eliminate the last particle of CO2 from our emissions, we should devote effort to assist the developing nations to modernize cleanly.

Mike

Bike
2010 NT700V
I find it interesting that the government is pushing the idea of all electric at some point. Meanwhile, it is also pushing 15 percent alcohol in the gasoline. (There goes your motorcycle, boat motor and lawn mower.) Wait until farmers and our Iowa Senators figure out what that will do to corn prices. All electric, no gas, no need for alcohol. Ahh, cheaper food because we can eat the corn instead of burn it. Want to bet? The government will up taxes to give the money to farmers to make up the loss in demand for corn. There goes the "savings".
Our planet spins like a merry-go-round. And well it should.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If GM was making an acceptable profit on the Bolt, there is no way they would have killed the Bolt until they had a replacement immediately available.

Mike

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Most EV's are loss leaders. No so bad for GM, Ford or the other big ICE makers adding EV's but not so good for little EV companies.

Bike
2010 NT700V
The Chevy VOLT is a hybrid. The Chevy BOLT is all electric.
Apparently, someone at General Junk jumped the gun and named the VOLT before they had an all electric car, which they then called the BOLT. As Mr. Spock would say, "Highly illogical, Captain."

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I find it interesting that the government is pushing the idea of all electric at some point. Meanwhile, it is also pushing 15 percent alcohol in the gasoline. (There goes your motorcycle, boat motor and lawn mower.) Wait until farmers and our Iowa Senators figure out what that will do to corn prices. All electric, no gas, no need for alcohol. Ahh, cheaper food because we can eat the corn instead of burn it. Want to bet? The government will up taxes to give the money to farmers to make up the loss in demand for corn. There goes the "savings".
Our planet spins like a merry-go-round. And well it should.
I wont touch that third rail of politics....I hate them all equally....but politics aside for the sake of argument here.
Growing corn for corn surup and ethanol makes no sense ecologically/environmentally or mechanically/monitarily. I have reference scientific papers here in the past about this.

Growing corn/sugar cane around the world by destroying habitat in the rain forests, savanahs or Iowa and subjecting it to herbicides and pesticides and fertilizers has killed off one third of North American Birds in 50 years. I didnt have one mosquito nor one tick on my property last year....and no nighthawks, either.....it takes power to refine the sugars into ethanol, which has 70 percent the energy of gas and it burns hotter...yes, the politics are important in the equation but out of place here.

I am so old I remember the US with 150 million people and one car garages. I remember when taking a commerical plane ride was a big deal.....now we keep 1,000,000 people up in the air at any given moment in machines that weigh 700,000 lbs. Back then, People bought pickups to use. I remember the first one on our block. There were very few motorhomes, fifth wheels, boats that got gallons to the mile, jet skis, quads, and snowmobiles.....

I am sorry to be out of step but there is no right to cheep fuel or transpertation. You are just diggin the hole deeper for your kids.....I dont have any bio-kids and I will be gone in a few very short years....so I really dont have a dog in the fight....
But I would be looking at Japan....yes, loosing 25 percent of your population causes issues...but their country isnt crawling with pickups and fifth wheels and their fuel is expensive.....they have tents and they seem happy.....
If this country is dead set against responsible next generation nuclear power, then Personally, I think Local solar with cells that actually do last 25 years appear to be one part of the answer. I think Hybrids and plug in hybrids are not a bad idea to start....if people want to get on an airplane that burns 10,000 lbs of fuel per hour, let them pay the true social cost of that....I am going camping instead in the land of few tin teepees.
a japan tepee.jpg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The Chevy VOLT is a hybrid. The Chevy BOLT is all electric.
Apparently, someone at General Junk jumped the gun and named the VOLT before they had an all electric car, which they then called the BOLT. As Mr. Spock would say, "Highly illogical, Captain."
The Volt name made perfect sense, the name Bolt makes no sense at all.....

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"...the name Bolt makes no sense at all..."

A bolt of lightning? :)

For whatever reason, I'd assumed the ICE in the Volt for purely for charging the on-board batteries but perhaps it has sufficient umpth to push the car forward? I looked it up and it has a measly 100 HP which is enough to push the car at a modest pace.

Top Bottom