Sipping the EV Kool-Aid Update at 1K miles

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Hopefully Toyota will pull it off. But then we have the same issue as EV's, where do I refuel?

I would not want to be a 1st Responder to accident involving a hydrogen powered vehicle and a EV. An EV battery fire that is hard to put out burning near a hydrogen tank could be really ugly... 🤔

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Small correction. While this waste is per year, it doesn't include the oil or power to make the blades or the amount of dead birds.IMG_20230521_214153897_copy_973x580.jpg

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Hopefully Toyota will pull it off. But then we have the same issue as EV's, where do I refuel?

I would not want to be a 1st Responder to accident involving a hydrogen powered vehicle and a EV. An EV battery fire that is hard to put out burning near a hydrogen tank could be really ugly... 🤔
There are issues here of course and crash testing as well as what happens when one of these things is in a garage of a burning house. If Japan ramps up like they say, we will have answers.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
It seems like everything comes at a cost.....there is no free lunch.
Cost or risk....yes, I agree. But right now Spokane continues to be hot and dry...like poor Canada that, like the US, choses to not create an Air Force to fight fires when they start...leaving millions to breath polluted air, nor spend the money to manage the forests. IMG_20230521_221056443_copy_969x558.jpg

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The risk of a hydrogen powered vehicle in a fire is pretty much solved. If you will note all the motorhomes that you encounter in your travels are equipped with a minimum 50 gallon propane tank. They are designed to ASME specs which include burst strength in collisions and explosions due to fire. Years ago when I had my RV I was at a campground in Branson, MO and parked directly across the street from me was a nice, fairly new class A motorhome. Around two in the morning my son who was sleeping in the front bedroom was awakened by noise and looked out the window and the motorhome was fully ablaze. We ran out and fortunately the occupants had escaped. By the time the fire department had the blaze extinguished the motorhome had pretty much burned down to the chassis. I asked the fire captain if they were concerned about the propane tank exploding and he said that they are designed to withstand physical damage and excessive heat and that in 20+ years he had never seen one explode. When I got home I did a little research on propane tanks and learned about the ASME specs.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, apparently the DOT is also not concerned about propane tanks in motorhomes because they are typically mounted close to the edge of the vehicle and vulnerable to side impacts.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
My BEV is averaging 4 miles for a kilowatt now, Driving three towns away for imaging not available closer. Stopping at the pharmacy getting the early bird special at the local beanery. A long day out takes about an hour to refresh the battery. Still own a bunch of fuel cans, diesel for the tractor, regular gas for the mowers, premium for the saw and tiller. Getting ethanol free stuff around here means getting prefilled cans for a huge markup. I can recall when battery powered had tools were a joke. Today they get the job done. Reality changes, will I still be around to see a world powered by renewables, probably not. Would I like to see it yes I would.
I am lucky enough to live on a wood lot. I can cut my own heat for as long as I want or can. Burning wood is a lot of exercise. Something I could use more of. How much longer can I do that legally?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The risk of a hydrogen powered vehicle in a fire is pretty much solved. If you will note all the motorhomes that you encounter in your travels are equipped with a minimum 50 gallon propane tank. They are designed to ASME specs which include burst strength in collisions and explosions due to fire. Years ago when I had my RV I was at a campground in Branson, MO and parked directly across the street from me was a nice, fairly new class A motorhome. Around two in the morning my son who was sleeping in the front bedroom was awakened by noise and looked out the window and the motorhome was fully ablaze. We ran out and fortunately the occupants had escaped. By the time the fire department had the blaze extinguished the motorhome had pretty much burned down to the chassis. I asked the fire captain if they were concerned about the propane tank exploding and he said that they are designed to withstand physical damage and excessive heat and that in 20+ years he had never seen one explode. When I got home I did a little research on propane tanks and learned about the ASME specs.

Mike
Pretty interesting what they can withstand. I will do a quick look into this.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Interesting factoid ref EVs. Take it with a grain of salt, but it has always been true that bigger, taller, heavier vehicles come out on top in accidents. IMG_20230716_204056600_copy_1411x805.jpg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Another interesting item I just read in the past several weeks is that the owners of multi-level parking garages are having to consider restricting EV's due to the substantial weight increase that the structure was not designed for.

Mike

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Another interesting item I just read in the past several weeks is that the owners of multi-level parking garages are having to consider restricting EV's due to the substantial weight increase that the structure was not designed for.

Mike

I call BS on that one big time. They have been parking big SUVs and pick up trucks in those garages that weigh more than a EV. Someone is full of it...or trying to find an excuse to raise their fees.

Top Bottom