Sur Yes Sur

Igo

I've got a backpacking permit for the Grand Canyon April 17-19. April 20th I will go in at Monterey and ride California HWY 1 and 101 through Big Sur on the coast and come out at Ventura for my ride back to Vegas. Life is good.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Boy, it sounds good! I got to hike the Canyon back in '98. It was 6 days after my divorce was final and was an incredibly healing experience. I still walk those trails in my memory.

I'll ride the California coast summer of '13.

OP
OP

Igo

I have been hiking the Grand Canyon since the 70s. It is God's house.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Amen! But I'm not likely to hike it again. My 4th and 5th knees just don't work as good as I need them to.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
I'll have to live through the pictures our western US members post until I make "The Trip". Have a great trip, Igo.

OP
OP

Igo

I both share and kinda boast. I spend years trying to get back here and now I'm here and I owe it to my maker to put it to good use and I do. Igo.

bicyclist

Language training? Were you in USAFSS? I was in the late 60's.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
If I had had 20/20 vision I would (maybe) have been a pilot in the AF rataher than a minister in the United Methodist Church. Mine were 20/200 by the time I was a senior in high school. When I got my first pair of glasses I was astonished at all the things I could see. Now there are all kinds of military pilots driving around in jets with glasses on.

I did learn to fly in '78-'79 and got about 250 hours in 152s, 172s, a 172XP, Cherokee 180s, and a 182.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I came down The PCH, Hiway 1, last summer on the return trip from WESTOC. One of many times. Each time it is a great ride. This time was South from Oregon to Marina Cal. to see my Mom for a couple of days. Here are a couple of pictures I took along the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Igo

I've been to all these places but it's been years. I'm going in at Marina and coming out at Ventura next month. Just a 3 day sprint. Next summer I finish at Monterey. Thanks for the pics.

OP
OP

Igo

OK, another road to add to the bucket list.
It probably had to do with the fact that my motorcycle was falling apart and we were very young and very broke but brand new in love and we rode from LA to Seattle and back down. One of my lifetime top ten. Maybe top 3.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
and Rannier and Olympic and PCT and Shasta and St Helens and and and and and
Yea went by them also. Got a bunch of pics also but I don't want to bore you all.
This year WESTOC is in Nelson Canada. Might have to ride the NT as the ST is ill with a sticky Secondary Master Cylinder. Going to order the parts tomorrow to rebuild it. Having multiple bikes is a pain. To many decisions on which one to take on a given trip.

OP
OP

Igo

It's been a life's dream to ride this route and come back vis Yellowstone and Jasper; the great Western loop. This is whay I am putting the NT together the way I am. Everything is dedicated to this loop.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I pretty much rode the loop from Colorado counter clock wise this past summer, as WESTOC was in Moscow Idaho. Spent the first night camping at the Grand Tetons. Then rode thru Yellowstone and on to Montana to Idaho. Was going to do Highway to the Sun at Glazier National Park, but got snowed out. So we headed to Moscow. After WESTOC I head across Washington via Leavenworth. (a Bavarian Village) Over to Fort Lewis. Then down the center of Washington and Oregon, Passed all the Mt's. Cut over to the coast of Northern Cal. to Crescent City Through the gaint red woods. Then down PCH 1. Crossed the Golden Gate on to Monterey and then Marina, to visit my Mom. After that headed east to Yosemite National Park to visit my brother, who is the traffic Manager/ Ranger. On to Nevada and cross east on Hi-way 50, The loneliest Hi-way. Through Utah to I-70 and then home to Colorado via I-70. I was gone for three weeks and did 5000 miles. Saw lots of STuff and took Lots of pictures.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Igo

Rick, the high country will be very cold in early April but Shasta lake is at 850 feet.
If you thought you would like to go in at Monterey then it would be easy to take a northern jag up to the Golden Gate from Monterey.

OP
OP

Igo

I gotcha. Lake Shasta is where Russel is? Hmmmm. Chuck's 299 sounds perfect to me. Highest point is 3100 feet with and average elevation of 1500 feet. Could get right cool or wet in spots in early April but looks like a fun ride. The coast highway heading South is spectacular AND fun to ride.

Top Bottom