Sur Yes Sur

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
My map shows G16 coming south out of Carmel, Here is a scan of my Map. Now this map is a few years old. Might want to google map this area.

OP
OP

Igo

Where exactly is the road block?
MP 60.5 just north of Big Sur. CalTrans says you've got to go to to 68 at Monterrey or 46 just north of Morro Bay. It that is true, the people of Big Sur are going to starve to death.

OP
OP

Igo

So far I'm not finding a thing that will get you around it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
According to Streets and Trips, that will be a 116.2 miles vs. 54.6 along the coast. It looks great...Maybe I'll whip out after church and ride it with you.

I wish.

Eyerider

Last April I rode Nacimiento-Fergusson Road from Highway 1 to Highway 101 and it is a great ride. All the wildflowers were in bloom through the base and the hills were all green. There were many photo opportunities! There are twisty parts between the base and the coast, but they are not a problem. The biggest problem you will have coming westward is concentrating on the road and not watching the coast and the ocean!

Bike
2010 ABS Silver
Last April I rode Nacimiento-Fergusson Road from Highway 1 to Highway 101 and it is a great ride. All the wildflowers were in bloom through the base and the hills were all green. There were many photo opportunities! There are twisty parts between the base and the coast, but they are not a problem. The biggest problem you will have coming westward is concentrating on the road and not watching the coast and the ocean!
+1 on that! I rode that ride a long time ago when I was at NAS Lemore and out for a weekend run on my 400 Hawk...I still can remember that ride. I think I stayed at the camping spot Igo mentioned just south of Big Sur. A real sweet ride, you will enjoy it immensely. Have a great ride!

OP
OP

Igo

So, what is the greatest concentration of great motorcycle roads in California? The first part of my vacation is/was a backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon. The second half was a ride down through Big Sur. Looks like Congress is going to put a padlock on the National Parks and part of the Big Sur ride has slid into the Pacific. I'm planning more mores in Norther California just in case the Government closes on Saturday (I wish they would close for about 2 years)

OP
OP

Igo

Rick, I just pulled a pdf file off the CalTrans web site dated 11AM yesterday that states the Highway 1 section at Alder Creek was fully opened yesterday. I don't have time to fully investigate this right now but hope to when I get in tonight.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Rick, You realize that with no picures each day, the day never happend. Will be looking for your pic's. I am heading out next Thursday for Oklahoma and Texas with Now & Then (my NT700) You have a good trip and be safe. Slow down and enjoy the ride. Be aware of the urge to ride on and on with no stops. Everyone, remember, Riding your NT is suppose to be fun. Make It So.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Wish I was riding with you! On our weather news from Denver tonight they showed some pretty good snows going on in the Sierras on I-80. It'll probably be clear if you decided to go up through Reno, but I'll be the road wouldn't be particularly clean. Tell Russell "hi" for me and if you see Charlie Bice's saddle being made, tell you sorta' know him. My stock saddle (the one I bought from Katherine, is supposed to get to Shasta Lake tomorrow for Charlie's saddle.

bicyclist

Have a good ride, Rick, and enjoy the ride home on the new seat.

OP
OP

Igo

Rick, if you haven't left yet, please consider taking hwy 36 from Red Bluff out to the coast after leaving Shasta. It is one of the greatest MC roads in the country. I hadn't realized you were going to be so close.

OP
OP

Igo

Hwy 36 is a California top 5 and an absolute must ride. It is at lower elevations and the tarmac is in excelent shape. They didn't blade the landscape flat, they followed the contour of the land both in and out AND up and down.
Now GET OUT OF HERE!

Top Bottom