Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Re: May in Tenessee

For whomever is doing the headcount I've agreed to double up on a room with EX WINGER and he made the reservation call to Econolodge. Both of us are only 90% sure we will attend.

I will ride one of two routes to Pigeon Forge. One way is south along the Mississippi to Somewhere IL, then east or south east to destination.
The other way is east across the UP of MI and then south and east. Another variation (suggested by Miairhead) is to take the ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegon then head south east.
I'll probably take 3 days either way.

But for now, I just suspended the insurance coverage on my bike and it is going into my horse trailer for winter storage. Riding season is over. I'm working on firewood and ski trails.

silverdevil

I go along with WX WINGER in picking Econo for the motel.
in fact I was in Tn last week on the NT.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX

How many have reserved a room at Econo Lodge Riverside, there is a finite number of rooms. It would be nice if people who are going to be riding stayed in the same motel and campground. May sun rises at 6 and sets at 7:30, that is mostly the riding window.
I think rides will be averaging about 40 MPH, with and I am sure stops to see something along the way.
I just hope we get good weather, and get to meet as a group. Even as it being a NT, I hoping many different bikes join in. Not a lot going on at that time, and some of the best riding areas and sites you can find.
I made my reservation at the Econo Lodge Riverside. They charged more for the 16th and 17th than the other days. Did they do the same for others that have made their reservations ?

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural

Yes, many motels in the area charge more for weekends, I am still working on a price break, I hope you used either AAA, AMA, or Senior discount. Message me if you need AMA code.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike

Email from Eagles Nest Campground.
To make your reservations please call us after Jan 1. We would need further information. Thank You for choosing Eagles Nest Campground
Thank You Eagles Nest Campground 1 800 892 2714
I will need an idea of number interested campers, and I believe all will be tent.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)

But for now, I just suspended the insurance coverage on my bike and it is going into my horse trailer for winter storage. Riding season is over. I'm working on firewood and ski trails.
Did you do your caribou hunt?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold

Yes, I'll answer in a PM. If the long sad story is deemed worth telling it can be posted here later.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX

Yes, but the total for Thursday through Sunday still comes out to $35.00 and change when split with a roommate.

I made my reservation at the Econo Lodge Riverside. They charged more for the 16th and 17th than the other days. Did they do the same for others that have made their reservations ?

Bike
Bonneville T120

Thread has evolved over the last couple of months. Info about the rally is spread out over 60 posts. Can someone put all of the relevant info in one place.
Where, when, how long, etc.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR

Do you mean to put it in an "Upcoming Events" box? That may be a good idea. But since this is a loose, informal meetup, I wouldn't say rally just yet, and not really run by one person or group of people, it may be asking a lot to have all the info finalized just yet. IMO, Its not a firmly organized rally, just the dates were decided and some nearby places to stay were put together on the run by a few gracious volunteers to be certain it was even possible to do at this date. I assume now it's finalized and people can reserve rooms, there's plenty of time between now and May to suggest some places to ride to for a day and places to meet up, eat, etc. It's still evolving.
That is all you need for a NTOC/STOC get together. Post it and they will come. And if only two riders show up, the event will have been a success.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX

I am staying at the Econo Lodge Riverside in Pigeon Forge TN on May 14 to the 19th. If no one else decides to go I am going anyway. Lots to do even for a solo rider.

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike

Lots of time, but motel has only so many rooms. I know May might not be the big vacation season, but it would be nice to have a group on one motel, and use the extra room for a some time talking after rides. I think this could be a annual East gathering, much like the National NT Rally in the west. I for one might not ever make a event in SD in the hot months.
In Tennessee in May it should not be too hot, vacation season has not started, and what a place to ride a motorcycle. There are distilleries that might be great rides too, sights that astound. With a near by campground, I think it is a wonderful place to enjoy motorcycles and maybe make a few friends.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX

The only problem with May is that is is the wetest month of the year for that part of Tennessee but you trade the heat and tourest season for the potential of getting wet. Average daytime highs are a perfect 77.

Bike

77 and rain!!?? hat sounds like a nice mess. I wish you would have made that point about may weather earlier when this month subject came up. I don't mind riding in the rain when I get caught in it , but when it is raining I hate to go out and get started in it just for a fun ride.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX

Its not like we are talking about the monsoon season. Average monthly rainfall in May is 5.88". In June its 5.52" and in July its 5.82". Not all that much difference.

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike

Old Farmers
April and May will be slightly rainier than normal, with above-normal temperatures, especially in the north.

If it rains a lot we can have a tread about the best tested rain gear in Tennessee.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold

Last year in late May it rained on me from Maryville TN, through Smokey Mountains National Park, and most of the way up the Blue Ridge Parkway AND I SURVIVED! Rain isn't fatal.

Photo of BRP parking lot. Notice all the tourists.

Attachments

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red

The wife & I are planning for this ride, no definite plan for lodging as of yet but camping would work fine.
I plan to trailer the bike(s) with the SUV as I'm not sure we're ready for a 2-up ride of that length just yet.

Bike
2010 Red NT700

I have a res at the econolodge but I may still go for a cabin at the Alpine Campground... They may be cheaper than a tent site at the eagles nest
I too need electric for a cpap

Bike

LOL, Rick, & Jim,

I can and do ride in rain, but I still hate having to depart in it I departed in a down pour last year when I left for CO ETC, heavy rain all day from the night before across Santiam Summit and in the Central Oregon area where I was bonus hunting. The next two days were more of it, but that don't mean I enjoy or like it. The one thing I can say is that with the Stich I have not gotten wet except for my old riding boots which did give out on me that first day and got replaced with a pair of Alpinestars which thus far have been completly waterproof. I won't let rain deter me from traveling, butt I may not spend a lot of time sight seeing in it if it is persistant!

Eldon

Top Bottom