The Definitive Sidecar Thread....

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
All,

There are several of us who have been discussing sidecar options for the NT in various threads and PMs. I would like everyone to please use this thread for those discussion rather than spreading them around other areas.... We will never keep up with everything if it is too spread out.

I have been looking at sidecars for several years. I have come close to buying a Ural a couple of times but the lack of a reliable local dealer network has kept me out. That and everyone I ever met with one warned me they are a "fiddly" rig that you are always working on... I don't mind "fiddling", or farkling :D, as long as it isn't beside the road in the dark, I want a reliable rig! I know Ural has made some great improvements over the last few years but I'm not ready to go their just yet...

When I had my Sportster I bought a Dnepr sidecar rig I was going to attach to it. The Sportster's chronic issues caused it to be swapped in, for the NT, before that happened... So now I have a complete rig sitting in my basement. :rolleyes1: If you want to see "basic" engineering my NOS Dnepr rig, made in the early 70's, is it... The frame must weigh close to a hundred pounds stripped! The welding looks like what my 9th grade shop teacher would have used as a very good example of a really bad example...:doh1: But it was cheap and gave me an opportunity to see how things go to together...or at least should! I don't think this is the rig that will grace the NT...or the Wee...most likely it will hit eBay soon...

The pictures of the EMS rig Guy posted got me looking again. Sailariel and I found the US importer, DMC, and Sailariel is waiting for more info from them on importing that rig. I have my old contacts from a couple other shops, like Texas Sidecars, and I intend to get with them about using the NT as a tug for one of their rigs...

Please post any info you may have here so we can coordinate our efforts. If a new interface needs to be designed for the NT having an idea how many folks are interested well help get a manufacture interested... It might even lead to a group buy or at least a discount... That would really good as adding a quality sidecar is not cheap, it will probably be the most expensive farkle you can do at around $4-5K...

Here are a few resources for those wanting more info, if you have a resource that isn't listed please add it to the thread...

http://www.sidecar-industry.com/

http://www.sidecar.com/

http://www.dmcsidecars.com/

http://www.texassidecars.com/

http://www.warkshop.com/

http://freedomsidecars.com/index.html

Edit: http://www.hannigantrikes.com/content/home.html

And here is a very good book to help you learn sidecar dynamics...

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm not ready for a sidecar yet, but if the time comes when I don't feel safe on two wheels (or laying on the ground beside my dropped two-wheeler), I'm much more inclined to get an outfit than any of the trikes I've seen. I'll read this thread!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Wayne,
Sidecars seem to be some esoteric thing here in the US. They are very common in Europe. My sister had an NSU Super Max with a sidecar. The NSU was a 250. She lives in a large European city and said that the rig was fine. She now rides a Royal Enfield Bullet-500cc Single with no sidecar.

Sure, there are lots of bikes a sidecar can be fitted to--almost all cruisers, most BMWs, Triumph Speedmaster, and Bonneville, Honda Gold and Silver Wings, Magna. A sidecar on a Sport Touring bike like an NT, ST-1100 and 1300, Kawasaki Ninja 1000 would be a real treat.
Can you picture a Green Ninja with a Green Steib sidecar? It would be stunning. An NT with a sidecar and a custom paint job would be a real work of art. I guess that I will have to put an NT sidecar rig on my "Bucket List"

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
There are a ton of really nice sidecar rigs, including sport bikes. Many Moto Guzzi's have been mated to sidecars.

If you are really serious about a sidecar you probably want to rework the triple trees or change out to a link front suspension.

For those who are interested, sidecars are not for the novice. Setting one up and riding with it is a completely different skill set than a bike, and they can kill you just as fast as a two wheeler. Experienced riders like to joke that when they get too old to ride with a sidecar they'll go to two wheels.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Setting one up and riding with it is a completely different skill set than a bike, and they can kill you just as fast as a two wheeler.
Amen... That is one of the reasons I posted the link to the "book" Driving a Sidecar Outfit.... The operative word in the title being driving not riding... :D

Bike
Silver NT700V
Probably the most unusual (to me) side car I've seen was at Fort Jackson, SC in 1980 or so. It was a Vespa scooter with a side car. The rig was parked at the golf clup on post with a full set of clubs in the side car seat.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Probably the most unusual (to me) side car I've seen was at Fort Jackson, SC in 1980 or so. It was a Vespa scooter with a side car.
You would trip all over those parked on the sidewalks in Europe. Sidecars just aren't as popular here, I recently read that H-D has discontinued their sidecar in favor of the trike...

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I'm not wanting a sidecar but I find them very interesring.
The first road race I ever attended was at Road America. All the racing was cool but what I remember was the sidecar racing. Maybe just because it was so different. 2 riders working together siding in corners.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've seen a Vespa 250 with a sidecar (one of those bullet-shaped jobs) in Denver. And I remember European sidecar racing from when I was a kid in th 50s and 60s. Very streamlined, nearly all (it seems in my memory) BMWs, the captain and the monkey all over the bike. Really amazing stuff!

I'm not sure that I'd want one, but I really find this idea interesting. If done right, it would make a really good looking ride.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
More than two cents worth on Hacks

So...does all this interest mean I'm the only rider on this forum with a rig? I guess that comes as no surprise since hacks are very strange critters and have very limited appeal. That doesn't mean folks don't like them, on the contrary it's just the opposite, people everywhere love them and you'll never lack for attention when riding one.

I could probably start offering up all sorts of advice about them but I suspect you've all done a lot of research already, right? I do have a couple of things worth considering though, as follows: One thing prospective new owners might want to keep in mind has to do with certain hacks of Russian origin; unless you've a mad desire to experience lots of roadside repairs you'd best look at other avenues of ownership. Building one or having one built is a far better way to go and if you can find one for sale that's a proven rig so much the better.

For a used rid in good condition expect to pay around half of what it would cost to build one and they're out there; one only needs to be patient. If you decide to have one built you need to do even more research on who's going to build it than what you spend on choosing the rig; there are some well known shops that will skin you alive all the while smiling and yukking it up with you.

Take the time to research builders and don't believe everything you're told by the owner. Ask for references and press for one or two who had issues to see how they were resolved. You may find a bit of reluctance on the part of some shop owners and if so move on. I can't stress that part enough.

Finally if you've never ridden a hack (as in sitting in the drivers seat, not as a passenger) do so even if it's only for a very short distance. You'll get the feel for what it's like or at least what to expect and that may have a huge bearing on whether or not you go ahead. Once past that part and you decide you have to own one it's full speed ahead to one of the most fun-filled and exciting modes of riding you'll ever experience!

LL75:smile:

PS - Care to see how silly a couple of old guys can get with hacks? Visit our blog:
http://larrylarry75.blogspot.com/

Attachments

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I looked into putting one on my old 86 1100 Shadow, I even went to "Texas Sidecar Co." when I lived in Texas. Very nice people, Took a lot of time explaining what was involved and how much it would cost. I was looking at about 4 to5 k dollars for the basic set up and mounting to the bike. And that was not changing the rake on the front end. Needless to say I never followed through with the project. Still, great little company.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Heard back from DMC and they now say that for about $4500 they can fit me with a basic sidecar--of course, they have never done an Nt before.

We have a Brit here in Appleton,Maine who specializes in sidecars of the racing variety. I plan to pay him a visit and pick his brain. I hear good things about him-- Bulldog Cycles. Will share my findings.

CopterDr

Wayne.........I think sidecars will catch on over here. I know I'm planning one as we've talked on a Wee Strom. I really looked at a Ural.....but the negetives on reliability bugged me. I was told that the quality of Russia metal was the real factor on engine and tranny.....but the thing is built like a tank.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Jim Moore (jmoore on the Forum) in Whitney, NE, has a Ural Tourist sidecar rig that he rides to work when the roads are snowy and icy in the winter. My impression is that it has been a relable outfit for him. Jim, are you there???

CopterDr

Phil.............I've been looking at Ural's for awhile....the 2WD Patrol and Gear Up are awesome for getting around in bad weather or off road.

LL75.....thanks for the advise....it's most appreciated. Wayne has a hack and will probably build a rig.
I really like sidecars...never owned one yet....but now that I'm retired, I'm sure putting it at the top of my "bucket list"...LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I could probably start offering up all sorts of advice about them but I suspect you've all done a lot of research already, right?
Real hard won advice is worth a lot more than internet browsing knowledge so please don't hold back...

I saw a Sputnik rig for sale locally awhile back, unfortunately someone had the bright idea of using it for a planter yard decoration...:doh1: The bottom of the car was totally rusted out and the top was rusting through from the inside out..and the seller still thought it was usable!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
That is not surprising to me. We had a guy here who had a JAWA sidecar fitted to a Honda 450. Bike and sidecar were in terrible shape. I would have bought it just for the JAWA sidecar, but it was beyond restoration.

I'm here now. My tourist has been reliable. You just have to remember it is basically a 1940's Bmw, keep up on the maintenence and don't try to out run anything. It is only 40hp and 4speed but will run down the road very happily 55 to 60 mph. jim

CopterDr

Jim.......I still like the Urals........I fortunately have a few options now in my "later years"...lol...so for me a low mileage Patrol would be nice. I really like the idea of a V Strom 650 with a hack like Wayne was talking about. Since I'm surely not a millionaire, I'll be shopping around for a rig this fall. I do want "both worlds" though and a new NT is also on the list. :O)

Top Bottom