The Definitive Sidecar Thread....

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The advantage of using the Wee as a tug is there are several nice options already available. But the NT is my "touring" bike so I would prefer to use it....

If I get forced in to using the Wee as a tug I'll most likely be going with a DMC M72D.

What is the prevailing opinion on sidecar brakes? And does anyone know how they would integrate, if at all, with ABS? I know that with most trike kits the ABS is usually disabled...

The brake on the Ural sidecar ie strictly mechanical, when you step on your rear brake pedal it also moves the brake lever for the sidecar.

SeattleJim

We've had a Ural for about 3 years/9000km. Other than replacing the starter under the 2 year warranty there has been no trouble. Not fiddly at all. It's my wife's grocery getter and it's fun to haul the bicycles to the trailhead on it. Great for winter commuting, too. That being said, I'd want something else for touring.

My first hack was back in 1986 with a California sidecar attached to an FJ1100. Great fun but a bear to steer. I would definitely do a leading link suspension modification to any future rig.

CopterDr

Hmmm........that's a good question. I guess like cars, the sensors are at the wheel. I don't know exactly where the sensors are located on the bike.

Awesome Seattle Jim. We were discussing that "fiddly" stuff earlier. Of course another brand dealer was all negative about them...so I figured they were probably a great bike.

Folks.....ya'll have a safe and large holiday weekend. Talk to ya soon.
Barry

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Howdy,

FWIW I had the folks who set up my Aprilia/Sputnik rig install a disc brake on the tub that is actuated by the rear brake. It's a clean setup although they failed to install a proportional valve so I had our local Yamaha people take care of that. Just one of the many little ******ly things they overlooked in their haste to play catch-up after keeping the bike for three months.... In any event it's nice having the brakes work the hack side, especially when riding downhill in deep gravel as can be found on certain fire roads. The extra bit of control is great to have albeit not mandatory, just nice.

Having ridden to Deadhorse with this rig I wouldn't spend the extra bucks for a 2wd setup unless you plan to do a lot of riding in deep mud or perhaps swamps; it just isn't something you'll ever use. The trade-off simply isn't worth it when you consider the current offering by Ural (may as well name names) works like a locked rear end and is worthless for oridinary riding. Think about this, 1wd hacks have been flogging around the planet forever it seems, all the while without benefit of anything more than a primary drive and they've done admirally well. 2wd trail bikes have been available for years and who do you know who actually needs one? If you're the sort who believes it's not done till it's overdone than go for the TWD but if not then don't worry about it, you'll never need it.

LL75

CopterDr

Welcome LL75...........thanks for the info. I'll have my sidecar this fall and so look forward to enjoying it. Glad you mentioned the 2WD aspect. I'd thought I might need that here in MO....but like you said, unless you spend a lot of time off road, it's not worth the hassle.
Again, welcome to the site. There's a great bunch of folks here.

Barry

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
When looking at the Ural 2WD you have to consider where it is made and it's primary market. The Russian road system is not the same design or in the condition we have here. With thousands of kilometers of unimproved dirt roads and a nasty winter on top of that the 2WD makes a bit more sense... Add in this is usually their only transportation, not weekend toys like my bikes, and it starts looking even better...

If I thought I could get decent dealer support, in my area, I would reconsider getting a Ural. They look fun, my Bearded Collie would fit nicely, and they have a Reverse gear!

CopterDr

That's it Wayne.........love to take my dog for a scoot too..... :O) The closest Ural dealer to me is about 110 miles away.....not bad, but not close for a running problem or a major breakage. But from what I've learned, they're not that hard to maintain ...and for me, I don't abuse my stuff either.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
John,

I am inclined to agree that the NT might not be the right bike for a sidecar setup. That being said with Harley bowing out of the sidecar market there really isn't any "right bike" left except Ural. The pictures I have seen of the EMS rig on a NT look pretty good but I haven't seen a close up of the mounts.

One of the biggest reasons I didn't install the Dnepr rig on my Harley was the sorry clamp on frame mounts and even worse sidecar connectors that clamped over the frame mounts. Waaay too Mickey Mouse for my liking....

I have spoken to many sidecar folks at different shows and meets and most say a Sidecar brake isn't necessary. Personally I like stopping as much, or even more, than going so I want a brake and would prefer it to be integrated with existing system. That brake requirement adds about a thousand dollars in price, to rigs that have it as an option, and takes all the low end brands like Velorex off the table. Since both my bikes have ABS I also would like a definitive answer on how it will integrate, if at all. I suspect having a second foot pedal for a separate sidecar brake system is the most viable option rather than connecting to the existing brake system.

I have seen ads for a sidecar training program in Florida I may investigate further. While reading a book teaches the basic concepts it is still no substitute for riding and having someone explain the dynamics in more detail....

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
A side hack is driven not ridden. You may save yourself a whole lot of pain and expense by renting a rig to see how you like the reality VS the Idea. Most of the guys I know that have built one sold off the parts and never looked back. One may get buried in his he loves it so much.

You know how some things smell great but when you pop one in your mouth @%$&*.

CopterDr

Wayne, John, Karl, I think there is a sidecar training place here in MO. I have to admit, I've been looking at the Urals for a long time....and if I can get a deal here on one, I'll probably bite ..since it's designed as a hack from the get go. Found a new Red October...I know...lol....anyhoo been in contact with the folks and maybe, just maybe, Ol Bear will finally have one soon.

Yes Sir Karl, I did drive a BMW rig a few weeks ago and it is a little different duck.....but I loved it. The fella that owns it did the "fly the chair" move and made it look easy....I'm sure with some parking lot practice I can become some what more comfortable....lol

I do want an NT in the stable as well....I think it's a perfect bike for me.

Barry

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Jim Moore (jmoore on the Forum) has and likes his Ural. It's been reliable for him. I think they've come a loooong way in the last 5-6 years.

CopterDr

Phil........do you know what year his Ural is Sir?? I've found a brand new 'O9.

John.......man, bring back those memories.......I had a bug eye 59 Sprite.....loved it.

CopterDr

thanks Phil. Got our grand son over today (20 mos).....so I'll be back on later....lol.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Was going to ask John G about the Sprite, bug eye or later. I had a Midget in '76 - '81. Liked that little thing, drove from coast to coast when I was transferred from Schofield Barrcks, HI to Ft. Jackson SC.

Couple of friends of mine had a 1949 Crosley Hotshot. What a little beast, OHC engine, three speed NON-synchro transmission. Great fun.

Chuck

CopterDr

LOL....49 Crosley........cool. I really got into British cars too Chuck......after the bug eye, going up through high school and on, found a 60 MGA Twin Cam 1600....for 150 bucks....put a plug wire back on (guy said it had amiss)..drove it home...lol....later on bought a 65 Jag XKE 4.2L from a friend..kept it 2 yrs....got a deal on a 67 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8, kept it 3yrs.........and aquired a 67 Triumph TR4-IRS at the same time...kept it 3yrs..........Dear Lord....I wish I had them all back now...lol. Also learned that Lucas Electric, the ones who invented "darkness", were true to their word at that time.......lol

Well, since this is "The Definitive Sidecar Thread", last night I was Bike Night in my town and I was walking around and came across this. It wasn't part of the show, it was just parked along the side of the street along with 300 other bikes. I couldn't find the owner so I couldn't ask any questions about it.

[Mods: I know the pictures are kind of big. I did this in a hurry, feel free to change it anyway you like.]

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have to agree with you, John that the NT would be a poor choice for a sidecar rig. I will probably find some other bike to do a sidecar with. I definitely plan to keep the NT, but will look for something in the used department for a sidecar. Will keep you posted.

Top Bottom