The Definitive Sidecar Thread....

CopterDr

Thanks for the pics Blood.......sweet

Folks......for some reason my internet, email, blog notices, etc aren't coming in like they should. Not sure what the problem is, so waiting to hear back from some people on it. Sorry if I miss something. I'll try to get back to normal soon.

Barry

Last edited by a moderator:

elizilla

I've seen pictures of scooters with sidecars. Like Vespas or something. I have a friend here in town who is manufacturing electric scooters. I am wondering how they'd do with a sidecar like that, for short trip duty around town? Including winter, but no long rides or high speeds - just back and forth to the grocery store or the chinese takeout. Maybe that could be my car replacement.

CopterDr

Yeah Wayne......google scooter with sidecar......there is some really cool hacks for scooters. The "VW Bus" rig looks like it might be a taxi...lol

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Okay, question for you folks with sidecar experience... Do you think that you can make a decent, safe, capable rig that will allow you to detach the sidecar and still ride the motorcycle separately? Or do you need to fully commit the motorcycle to the project,(car tires, leading link suspension, etc) and effectively bond the two permanently? Part of the draw of a sidecar for me is the concept of being able to unbolt it and just ride my motorcycle. If I have to be in a committed relationship forever a trike has some advantages over a sidecar and you could always add a sidecar to a trike if you want one...

CopterDr

Hahahaha...........now that I'd like to see Rick.

Ya'll have a large evenin'.....gotta get up at 3:30.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I can't even begin to imagine what a trike with a sidecar would look like. Anybody got pictures of one?

elizilla

I don't have any pictures of the contraptions he can sleep inside, but here's a sample of what the guy I am talking about, does to his bikes.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Katherine, do you know if that guy ever had a Concours? When Joanne and I were on our honeymoon, the day after the wedding we spent about 5 hours by the side of the road at the west entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park (we were waiting for my folks to bring us something from the house as they headed home to Grand Junction). At that point I had only seen about four or five other Connies, but six stopped and visited with us that day. One of them was a guy on an old red Connie (probably an 89 or so) who had almost the same kind of bar extensions. This guy was on his way to Alaska and hoped to continue on west across Siberia. He took my email address, but I never heard from him again. I've always wondered if he made it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I was just reading yesterday's Sunday Supplement to the local paper and learned that Heloise, the household tips guru (gurette?) rides a Ural sidecar rig. She's even ridden it on book-signing / promotional tours.

elizilla

Phil, that must have been someone different. I've known this guy about ten years and he's never done anything like that. And nowadays he's no longer riding at all, since the incident when a trailer he built caused him to wreck and injured him pretty badly.

CopterDr

That's cool Phil.....I'm guessing she doesn't have a lot of mechanical problems either.

I sure hate the hear about anyone getting hurt Katherine........I was following a pair of Goldwings pulling trailers a few months back, and was watching how the bikes reacted to wind, cornering , etc. I noticed one was just rock steady and the other was wandering a bit....not sure if he was loaded heavy in the rear of the trailer...but coming out of one pretty sharp curve he was fighting it hard and almost crossed the center line. We were running about 65.

CopterDr

Jim....I don't think so here in MO.....but I see more and more ads for Safety Training Courses including trikes and hacks like in Kansas, St Louis, etc....and I think that's a good thing. They are a different driving experience.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
We have an MSF class for 3 wheeler's and you have your choice of sidecar or trike.
I chased getting that MSF class in my area and was told it wasn't going to happen...

In Georgia the sidecar / trike classification appears to be a real gray area. One person at DMV said you would not need a Class M endorsement as it is no longer defined as a motorcycle when you have three, or four, wheels. A friend, who is a LEO, said he would cite anyone riding / driving one who did not have a Class M endorsement...as pointed out there is no legal classification for Trike / Sidecar on your vehicle registration...it will say motorcycle.

Top Bottom