The Suspense is Building

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
It will be interesting to see what Honda has to offer for 2013. According to some dealer info that I have read, they are trying to introduce practical bikes at an attractive price point. This has some dealers upset because their margins are slimmer and furthers Honda's reputation for making superb (but not very exciting) motorcycles. I think the NC700X and the CBR250R were a foretaste of this new marketing philosophy. We shall see....

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
As a marketing professional I have never been a fan of this kind of marketing. At least 1/2 the time it ends up being a let down for the consumer.

bicyclist

There's supposed to be a new 500 chassis that will be used for 3 models; sport, naked and faux dual sport. It'll be interesting to see what we get over here. Currently, all I'm interested in is the CRF250L.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I saw this on the Honda website too. A salesman at my local dealer said the new offerings are supposed to be really great, though he only knew the hype, no details. I'm not really in the market for a new ride, so I'm not too excited myself.

tawilke46

So far Honda has updated the Gold Wing, introduced the NT700X, updated a few RR's, and kept the same lame cruiser lineup.
Not much going on at Honda, so a lot of catch up needs to be done.

An overdue ground up update to the ST is sorely needed. Just to keep up with BMW, Yamaha, Moto Guzzi and Triumph.
A fresh update to the NT as a mid size tourer with a displacement bump to 800cc or so would be nice.
A mid size adventure bike ala DL650 would be great and use the same engine and frame for other bikes such as a basic standard bike or naked bike.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Reading Honda'a CEO's comments in September, it sounds like the big news should be something larger than 700cc, with commuting and touring in mind.....so that could be something new and interesting to many here. We will see.

I will pay attention to what Honda does because they don't release many products that make me ask myself "Who would want this crap?"

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I think you'll find it's a CB1100 which is due shortly.

Whether there are others, well we'll just have to wait and see...

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Honda did a lot of hype with their 250 Sport Bike that was supposed to trounce the Ninja 250. Even though the Honda had ABS and Fuel injection, the Ninja 250R outperformed it. Now Kawasaki came out with a Ninja 300 which really screams. I'm still partial to Kawa Sportbikes. The ZX6R is a really nice bike that could be set up as a really nice Sport Tourer. The CB1100 would probably sell well because people are getting into retro. I think that if I went retro, I would get a Bonneville. The CB1100 will probably be a super gas guzzler.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I still gotta believe that a "freshened" NT700V would be a good seller. Here's what I'm thinkin'... ~800-850cc displacement, ~75-78 HP, 6-speed transmission, ABS all in a package similar to the NT we have now. Price that rascal at $11500 and it will be a winner! I still gotta believe that the NT as we know it would have sold MUCH better had Honda done more to promote it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Mike

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I agree that Honda did a miserable job marketing the bike. I'm not so sure that an additional gear would make much difference. Up until you get up to 50, four speeds are fine. I consider fifth an overdrive just like on my car. The press was not kind to the NT--calling it "Dullsville" and "old technology". Now they are promoting the new NC700 which is supposedly a touring, sports, and adventure bike.

Reminds me of "Motorsailers"--they were a mediocre motorboat and an equally mediocre sailboat. They changed the name to Pilot House and Raised Salon--still the same breed of cat.

I tried out an NC and can't say that it impressed me. Probably an OK commuter, but sure not a touring bike. I wonder who the rocket scientist was who put the petrol tank under the pillion? Now when you have to tank up, you have to move the stuff you strapped on the pillion. Chain drive is fine on retro and older bikes. I much prefer shaft drive. The fairing offers much less protection from the elements than the NT. As for performance, the NT does well. I get close to 60 MPG with mine. Life is good.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I'm real curious if they're bringing the CrossTourer over. If I knew they were going to awhile back I may have waited to try one before getting my Explorer. I think it looks like an excellent bike.

They should bring it over... It's one of the hotter segments they do not have an offering for here in the states.

Expecting the ST refresh as well. Not sure on an NT refresh, I think that could depend on how well the NC does here as my guess is it would borrow some design if/when they revisit it. But who knows!

Likely the new Integra scooter as well? We shall see!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
It will be interesting to see what Honda has to offer for 2013. According to some dealer info that I have read, they are trying to introduce practical bikes at an attractive price point. This has some dealers upset because their margins are slimmer and furthers Honda's reputation for making superb (but not very exciting) motorcycles. I think the NC700X and the CBR250R were a foretaste of this new marketing philosophy. We shall see....

Mike

I totally agree. I have also been saying this.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I still gotta believe that a "freshened" NT700V would be a good seller. Here's what I'm thinkin'... ~800-850cc displacement, ~75-78 HP, 6-speed transmission, ABS all in a package similar to the NT we have now. Price that rascal at $11500 and it will be a winner! I still gotta believe that the NT as we know it would have sold MUCH better had Honda done more to promote it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Mike

And make it a 4 cylinder configuration. A V-4 or even a In-line 4 would be OK.

tawilke46

Mike

I can visualize it now...........a bike with the ergos and protection of the NT, shaft drive, ABS, and a V4 750 to 800cc displacement. Maybe throw in hazard lights, a real cruise control and Electric adjustable w/s. Honda already has the VFR engine to put in a new bike. What ya waiting for Honda!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I can visualize it now...........a bike with the ergos and protection of the NT, shaft drive, ABS, and a V4 750 to 800cc displacement. Maybe throw in hazard lights, a real cruise control and Electric adjustable w/s. Honda already has the VFR engine to put in a new bike. What ya waiting for Honda!

They use to have one. It was called the V-45 Sabre. Although no cruse and no electric winshield.View attachment 5911

Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
If it has payed any attention at all to our forum, Honda won't let us down. I envision, hope for, an updated NT. Not that I will be ridding myself of mine any time soon, but it will mean that Honda is here to stay in the mid-sized touring segment.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
They use to have one. It was called the V-45 Sabre. Although no cruse and no electric winshield.
Hmmm.... I never saw one of those I thought the V-4s were all Magnas or VFRs. The luggage on the Sabre looks a lot like the luggage that was on my old Silverwing GL650i. What years was the Sabre manufactured?

SeattleJim

If the NC700X sales have been good then it's likely we'll get the naked version. My wife would be very interested in the Integra version to replace her Burgman 650 but I doubt Honda will import that version.

Top Bottom