The Suspense is Building

Bike
Bonneville T120
RedLdr1-
Check out the seat height on the CB500X. Pretty tall, 31.9 inches. My wife couldn't handle that height. Of course she's only 5'4" tall.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Check out the seat height on the CB500X. Pretty tall, 31.9 inches. My wife couldn't handle that height. Of course she's only 5'4" tall.
I did and I agree it is a bit tall...but my wife is 5'8" so she might be okay. We will find out for sure when we see it and see how much the suspension compresses with her on it. The sport version of the 500 is an inch lower but has a lot of expensive tupperware to bang up in a SAD...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The prices were found on the Cycle News website and are as follows: CB1100 $9,999 + 1k more for ABS option, Gold Wing $19,999 + 1k more for Deluxe Package, CB500F (naked bike) $5499 + 500 more for ABS option, CBR500R $5999 + 500 more for ABS option, and no price was listed for the adventure touring CB500X which has a July release date.

For those looking for a lower bike, it appears that the CB500F (naked bike) has the lowest seat height of the three models of 500s but with a slightly lower handlebar than the X model. There were no specs available as yet and I'm only making that judgment by looking at the photos. All the 500s have a Pro-Link rear shock system so someone could quickly come up with a different link to lower the seat height.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
In ref to the seat heights of the three 500s, I looked further. Both the CBR500 (sport) and CB500F (naked bike) have the same seat height of 30.9 inches. The X model (adventure) has a seat height of 31.9 inches due to having longer suspension. All three weigh in the 420-430 pound range. I found the specs on the official American Honda website.

I'd be interested in the CB500F to be used as an in-town bike or for day rides. :)

jackgermain

That CB1100 looks retro old school to me and the gold wing is something that I will have to see if it grows on me.

OP
OP
Well it is perhaps reassuring that the NT is still listed in the model line. For those who may remember it the new GoldWing looks very much like a concept that was in RedRider a few years back. Called the MIdnight or something like that-can't quite recall.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Looks like Honda is going to sell a lot............................................of FJR's, Vee/Wee Stroms, KLR's, etc. Not so sure how many Honda's are going to be sold. Guess I will start looking at the new FJR1300, as a single replacement to my ST1300 and my NT700. As the New FJR is in between the ST1300 and the NT700 in weight and cost. Not to mention the new fetures the FJR has standard. Cruise Control, Heated Grips, Traction Control etc.

Just as I thought, Honda is going to the sub liter, smaller, cheaper, higher fuel milage machines, to attract younger people into the market. I was a true blu Honda person but over the last couple of years the other manufacturers have gotten my attention. I use to have 3 Honda's and one Kawasaki in my garage. Today I have Two Honda's and two Suzuki's in the garage and in the future I foresee 1 Yamaha and two Suzuki's and 0 Honda's, in the garage. Looks like the new FJR is a better value for the features and performance given.

ST1300 new cost $18,230, FJR1300 new cost $15,890, NT700 new cost $11,199
ST1300 weight 730 lbs,.....FJR1300 weight 637 lbs........NT700 weight 569lbs.

Bike
choosing
Regardless of what new models that Honda decides to introduce, they have got to school their dealerships about what they are selling.
The marketing and sales ignorance of the NT has been an experience that I can only describe as embarrassing. Case in point, last Friday.
Not just last Friday, mind you, but instead since day one when I decided to buy a NT. I walk into a very large motorcycle dealership.
It goes down like this...."Welcome, what motorcycle can I sell you today". My response...."I just bought a new NT700V three months
ago". Saleman...."Oh yeah, thats the new adventure bike, the NC 700, how do you like it?" My response, "No, I bought an NT700 V. The NT
has a v-twin, the NC has a parallel twin, my bike is right outside the window". He looks outside the window, right at my bike comments about
the ST right next to it...."Oh yeah, you bought the ST 1300, thats a nice bike". I corrected him again. By that time he sensed my aggravation,
made a lame comment and excuse himself. He left me alone the rest of the visit, probably because he knew that he could not sell me anything.
Honda dealerships and their sales personnel were totally kept in the dark about the NT. His total ignorance about a lot of the other products
that Honda sells was unprofessional and pathetic. This dork could not have sold me anything. I literally gave the guy a product knowledge class.
I finished my drink and hit the door, shaking my head. To me, that dealership is nothing more than a pit stop, to get a drink and use their mens
room.

Bike
Bonneville T120
There was a bias against the NT. I heard about many sales associates responding to people, "No you don't want that bike, look at this one". That's the fastest way to kill a sale with me. Anyway, my dealer was pretty good about it, but they only ordered two and had trouble selling them. I looked a lot but the price tag kept me on my Shadow Aero a lot longer than I liked. Once the NT went on the juice, they were ready to talk about discounts. I got a pretty good deal.
As they didn't sell well, you couldn't pay my local dealer to take one on. I can't blame him either.
Why didn't they sell, well at least in part because they weren't marketed at all. I think a truck loaded with Honda models that traveled around for test rides would have helped sell the NT's. I had a heck of a time getting a test ride. Once ridden, more people would like them. My local Triumph dealer will let me take out any bike, any time. I bought one, in part because of a test ride, and he know's I'm looking. Well I'm always looking. Riding the product is critical.

With my bias to high (okay highish) performance standards, I think the CB1100 is a winner.

skiper

yeah - similar experiences for me while looking at NT. Very hard for honda to control that aspect of sales. I would have valued a tool kit included. Many people would probably have been offended by the low quality tools in an average kit. Americans love the shiny overkill tools - any way educating the public is very difficult , thy get it or don't. Listen up Honda - don't use big three selling style on motorcycle market - make an improved NT even if it is similar to ST. Oh yeah, while at it can we have three wheelers of different planform with convertable tops ? Ghost of Mr Honda - see what you can do about redesigning the NT Haagh?

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
Okay, I looked. Must say with my cruiser backround the F6B and the Interstate gave me pause. Especially the F6B. a H-D Street Glide that's comfortable and has shaft drive! And it comes in black! Glad I don't have an extra 20K laying around, I'd probably be at the dealership signing up!:cool:

OP
OP
Motorcycle-usa.com has tests on the new wing and reviews on everything else more or less.

Last edited:

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
i'm just glad the crosstourer didn't make it over - cements my decision with the explorer, instead of making me wonder :eek:

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
I would liked to have seen a refresh of the NT with the Dual Clutch Transmission option from the NC700X.
I've been going back an forth with these two and I think I like the front fairing and integrated storage more than the DCT, so I'm close to making the deal for the NT...but I have to satisfy my curiosity about some used bikes before I jump. :D

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Okay, I looked. Must say with my cruiser backround the F6B and the Interstate gave me pause. Especially the F6B. a H-D Street Glide that's comfortable and has shaft drive! And it comes in black! Glad I don't have an extra 20K laying around, I'd probably be at the dealership signing up!:cool:
Exactly what I was thinking. I park right next to a beautiful red Street Glide at work, which I admire evry time I see it. Ahhhhhhh.......maybe someday.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
baggers aren't really my thing, but i must say the wing "bagger" does look pretty slick - especially that all black one!

tawilke46

I did notice that in the line up on Honda's American website the NT was included.........could it be the NT will be in the 2013 lineup?
I am not sure the F6B will be enough to lure the Harley types over to Honda, maybe some. I still prefer the standard GW myself.
Appears the Sport Touring segment for Honda is in limbo........not good.
The 500cc lineup is fine for folks just getting started in riding or need something inexpensive for commuting and the like, but not much else.
But not much new offered for experienced, long term riders.
As for me I am a little disappointed.....

Bike
Bonneville T120
I really think the 500cc bikes are a good idea with good pricing. I wish they had something in there with a seat height lower than 30.9 inches.

Top Bottom