The Suspense is Building

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I think I could find room in my garage for the CB1100! It's my fav of Honda's new offerings. The new Gold Wing looks cool too but is just too big for this ol' fart.

Mike

rcase13

Yeah I too am excited about the CB1100 and disappointed with the apparent back shelf placement of the sport touring segment. Honestly I would have thought the sport touring segment would be the most popular segment. Obviously I was wrong.

Bike
2010 Silver 700 NT ABS
I looked....I think I will keep my NT since I just put some new shoes on it at 6500 miles (Michelin PR2's) Very nice bike for an old beginner (moved up from scooter) and the twisties of SE Ohio.

elizilla

I like that CB500X. I could see adding that to my collection. It's got a chain, but it's small, so it probably won't chew the chain up so fast. And I bet it's a hoot to ride. If the price comes in the same range with the other CB500 models, it would be easy to buy one on impulse.

I think it's great that they are bringing on all these reasonably priced bikes with good feature sets for newer riders. The industry has been neglecting that sector, in favor of more expensive bikes that they can only sell to existing riders. Making entry level riders comb the classifieds for some old beater from the days when smaller bikes used to be made, is not a good long term strategy.

Fun and inexpensive will also get them into the garages of experienced riders. And from there, they will quickly get shared with newer riders recruited by the current riders. Hooray for Honda, that they have decided to put some serious weight behind increasing the future motorcycle customer base!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The CB500X is the only bike in the lineup of new models that appeals to me. Be curious to see how it does and what accessories are available for it from Honda and the aftermarket.

bicyclist

The CB500X is the only bike in the lineup of new models that appeals to me. Be curious to see how it does and what accessories are available for it from Honda and the aftermarket.
That's the one I like, too. In a few years, I'll be wanting a lighter bike (actually, I want one now) and that has the potential for being the base of a lightweight tourer. And, in a few years, there will be the aftermarket stuff necessary to build it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
On the UK Honda site there's a picture of a CB500X with panniers. They look pretty small, but they're different from and a better shape than the ones on the NC700.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
The NC-700 is a good entry level bike that can be made into a tourer or commuter. It is not in the same class as the NT. Weather protection is less, it has chain drive, it has less power than the NT, and it is taller than the NT. By the time you set it up as a touring bike, you have reached the same price point as the NT.

The advantage is that the initial investment is relatively small and one can add on later.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I still won't buy anything with a chain, unless I get the urge for a real dirt bike one of these days. Street bike, no.

What I wish Honda would do is drop the ST and make the VFR into their sport touring bike. Good engine and transmission, just need better fairing for touring and slightly better seating position. Just a little heavier than the NT. Shaft drive. DCT if you want it. What's not to like :D Heck, if I ever see the need to get rid of the NT the VFR would be the replacement.

I don't like cruisers but the 'cruiser' GW is good looking.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I keep seeing the large aversion to chains. I must admit that one of the reasons I got the NT was because of it's shaft drive. However having since got a chain drive Triumph Bonneville T100, I don't find it unpleasant at all. Sure you have to lubricate it every 500 miles or so (for me about every two weeks) and it does need minor adjustment every now and then, but the maintenance is really minimal. Modern x-ring chains last and last. They are just not a big deal.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I still won't buy anything with a chain, unless I get the urge for a real dirt bike one of these days. Street bike, no.

What I wish Honda would do is drop the ST and make the VFR into their sport touring bike. Good engine and transmission, just need better fairing for touring and slightly better seating position. Just a little heavier than the NT. Shaft drive. DCT if you want it. What's not to like :D Heck, if I ever see the need to get rid of the NT the VFR would be the replacement.

I don't like cruisers but the 'cruiser' GW is good looking.
NO, no, NO, You have it all wrong. Keep my beloved ST1300 (maybe just up grade it some ) and put the VFR 800 motor into the NT. Then we will have a heavy (Gold Wing), medium (ST1300) and light (NT800) weight tour line up. After that Honda can bui;ld all the 500cc, cruisers, sport bikes, etc. that they want. I won't care.

Speaking of ST's . Joe, any ETA on ST-owners coming back on line?

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Speaking of ST's . Joe, any ETA on ST-owners coming back on line?
Nope sorry.. major issues withe the ISP. The server is up and data is okay but possibly a router or some other hardware issue. This ISP is not very good at communicating so a future move may be the follow-up even if they're been pretty reliable the past couple years.

Bike
ST1300,R1200RT
I agree with Chuck's evaluation of what Honda should have done with the sport-touring line up of bike updates.The NT with the VFR 800 motor would address lack of power, improve engine NVH, and reduce heat from rear exhaust pipe.
The ST1300 needs to loose 100lbs and update its instrument panel so it is visible, add cruise control.
John

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
If you put the VFR engine in the NT and the ST loses 100lb then you have two bikes of near the same weight and size and capability. Besides, the NT suspension is lacking compared to the VFR.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Cant wait to see a comparo between the 700x and the 500x. One thing is for sure...with the 700x, you take the radiator off and the screw valve ajusters are right there.
Cant wait to see what the ajustment interval and cost is on the 500x. ("What do you mean I just bought this $6000 bike and after 900 miles I need to give you $400 more?")
Hey, here is a good trivia question. Who remembers when Yamaha would give you two free cupons for a free 600 mile service and a free 1,000 mile service when you bought a new bike?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Who remembers when Yamaha would give you two free cupons for a free 600 mile service and a free 1,000 mile service when you bought a new bike?
I was given a whole coupon book with Free services, discounted parts and accessories, and discount coupons for MSF classes when I bought my 84 RZ350 and my 86 FJ1200. The dealer even put together a "Group Discount" for several of us to attend SuperBike School at Firebird Racetrack in Phoenix! Plus I was guaranteed, in writing, "Same Day Service" by the dealer unless parts, that weren't normally stocked, were required. At the dealer I bought the NT at I couldn't even get a "Same Day" response to a message left to schedule a service...:rolleyes1: Serviceability may have improved but Service has taken a turn for the worse...

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
If ever I bought a bike and was guarranteed a loaner bike for long service appointments, I think I would pass out!

Top Bottom