2013 Pre-National Rally Rally (PNRR) in Colorado

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
All pack and ready to go, Going to head out at 6am tomorrow to get across town. See you all there. I plan on lunch in Aspin.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Jim Moore, Rick Ryan, and I are in Glenwood Springs at the Antlers Best Western Motel. Rick left Henderson, NV at about 11PM last night and got here at about 11:30 this morning. He had a marguerite and a 3 hour nap before Jim and I got here at about 4:30.

I had heard from Jim last week telling me he'd get away from Whitney, NE, "early." I'd sent him directions to my house and my phone number and hadn't heard back from him. I'd decided I'd wait on him till 11:00 and then head west.

At 8AM I was just about ready to start packing and loading the bike when the doorbell rang. It was Jim. He'd sent a reply telling me his ETA, but it's still out there in cyberspace somewhere. We got away at 9:30 and rode to Leadville for lunch and gas. It was 95 as we were going through Denver on I-70, but got down to 64 at the Eisenhower Tunnel. Of course that's at 12,200 feet.

In Leadville, at 10,200, the temp was in the mid-80s. On top of Independence Pass, over 12,000 feet again, it was 74F. By the time we got Glenwood Springs, it was 107F.

We had good Mexican food and Rick and Jim are sound asleep. I'm not far behind them.

Eldon Cannon is in Ely, NV, and expects to get to Reudi in the afternoon. Greg Hall (vcslim) will be with us on Saturday afternoon.

That's all I know.

I'm hoping that it'll get down into the 60s at night at the reservoir.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
And so the adventure begins, hope you guys all have a great and safe ride and will see those going to spearfish in a week and a half.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Boy, I need to get stuff DONE! Shopping this AM and I will be finishing the cleaning etc... I wanted to get done to host this event. my beautiful wife returned home yesterday and is sleeping in. And yes Phil, it was comfortably cool last night after the sun went down.
See you soon!

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Hope you guys are having a great time.. can't wait to see some pictures - Hint Hint - :wink:

Bike
Great times had by all, I hope!! It was great to have the gang here! Eldon and Kevin enjoyed a day on the boat today, fishing was pretty slow though... I do have some stashed in the freezer so we will have trout for dinner. Yesterday we rode to Marble and had a great ride, good lunch at a funky BBQ place there, and a nice ride home. Please do not tease Phil about how well he makes camp reservations, because he is a great guy. I hope his clutch cable got him home with no issues. My hope is Chuck, Rick, Jim and Richard will post some pictures when they get to their computers for all to see... Oh yeah, Phil too...Rick even took some videos that are pretty cool.
Great times, great new friends!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
OK I am back home. I had a Loong ride home. All of 250 miles. Had a Great time. I want to give a great big Thank you to Rocky. He is the Man. And he is a great host. He lives in the Sound Of Music land. Also it was great see some of my NT friends again and meeting new ones. Also being able to put faces with screen names. Here are some pictures of Rocky's place / view and of my ride home today. I hope everyone got to where they were riding to today safely.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Keep the pics and stories coming.....that way I will feel like I attended!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Keep the pics and stories coming.....that way I will feel like I attended!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p
As Rocky said, Eldon and I stayed another day and an awesome day it was. We spent a great day on the lake and I caught my first trout (two actually)! :)

Rocky's place and Ruedi are amazing. I enjoyed myself completely and Rocky and Margi were the best hosts.

I had a nice ride to Moab. I saw a bunch of campgrounds along the river on 128. This is a great road! Well it was great for the DR650. The pavement was rough in places and the speeds are bit slow but the scenery is so fantastic you won't care. It would be an easy road for an NT at the posted speeds.

Posting this on a tablet. It doesn't have any photos on it. Let me try to post a photo from my phone.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Great picture Kevin!

Sorry I never got to your place Rocky. I did not have the directions with me. I'm glad I met up with Greg, we had a nice dinner Saturday evening.
On the ride home Sunday, I followed the Colorado river from Dotsero to Burns to CO131, then a bit southeast to State Bridge and again followed the river to Kremmling. The first road had a little dirt, the second was all dirt, but both were well graded and had mag chloride on them, they were as good as paved -- when they are dry anyway. Then I went over Trail Ridge road through Rocky Mtn Nat Park to home.

Bob, thanks for the campground spot. I missed one day since I could not leave home until Saturday. I had unloaded there and asked the campground host what site Phil Tarman was at. I assured her he had a reservation at Molly B. She looked through her list and could not find it, but she insisted that she remembered the name. Finally it clicked and she told me about his reservation mixup. She said I probably would want to go to that campground and said I should take a look at it anyway. So I did, and decided to move there.
So, as it turned out, I did not stay at Molly B afterall. She did not charge me for the other campsite though!

Last edited:
Bike
I am so glad everyone had a good time!! It was my pleasure to host this event with everyone's help! (Thanks to Phil my co-disorganizer!) Thanks all for chipping in!! To put a personality and face to all these NT guys was really fun for me. You guys have a place to crash any time you want to play in the mountains and I hope you take me up on it with a little notice. Chuck, I will see you later in August?.. Great pictures Chuck and Kevin, how bout a vid posted Rick!! Sorry I missed you Ken, but now that you know where I am....
I am very lucky to live in a beautiful part of the country, and one made perfectly for motorcycle fun, and love to share it the best I can with great people!
Eldon, please check in so we know your travels are safe!

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Hey guys...Was Richard from OKC at Reudi??? Is he riding out west right now? We're supposed to share a campsite in Spearfish, but we haven't communicated lately.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Davis Service Center, the Montrose Honda dealer, called me at about 11:30 to let me know that the NT700V clutch cable had arrived. I had intended to use the TransAlp cable, but it got "cross-shipped" and won't be there till tomorrow. I had lunch with Tania, my daughter-in-law, and then took the bike out there. Everything was covered by warranty and it took them just about an hour to get it done.

While there I saw the two Montrose PD police bikes, a Wee-Strom, very nicely set up, and a new-to-Montrose Concours 1400. They'd bought it from a department in Idaho. It had about 6,000 miles on it.

When I came out to get my bike a police officer and another man were looking it over. Turns out the other guy is the owner of a red NT and lives in Paonia. I told him about the Forum, but he wasn't very interested. He has 56,000 miles on his, and I offered him a 50K sticker if he'd give me his address, but he wasn't interested in that either. He was interested in my Denalis.

I got the bike loaded up and left Montrose and its 93F heat at about 3:15. It got cooler quickly as I climbed Cero Summit and then toward Blue Mesa Summit. I had about a 20-minute wait for construction about 4 miles below the top of Blue Mesa Summit, but I "cheated" and went around the six parked cars and the semi that was at the front of the line. The last vehicle in the line going west was a Ducati MultiStrada. The first vehicle in the line going east was my NT.

That made for a pretty good ride toward Gunnison. There was quite a bit of wind, but it was mostly a tailwind. I got through Gunnison after "getting" to pass one truck about half-way up Blue Mesa Reservoir. From Gunnison on east is beautiful pasture land with horses and cattle and the Gunnison River, pretty small along here, and its oxbow meanders watering the valley. The ride up Monarch Pass from the west is magnificent, with well-paved sweepers that can mostly be taken at 45-50mph. I've never seen law enforcement on Monarch, which is good since for the most part the speed limit is 35 and I was mostly running 45-50.

At Poncha Springs, I turned off of US-50 and took US-285 north to Johnson's Corner, 3 miles south of Buena Vista. The temperature on Monarch had been about 50F at 12,322', but as I headed north it dropped into the high 40s. Then the rain hit hard and it got down to 42F, which felt pretty good after two days in Montrose! As I turned east on US-24, the rain mostly stopped until I got near the summit of Trout Creek Pass. I was wondering if I'd have snow again like I did two months ago as I came back from my niece's wedding in Fort Worth. But even the rain stopped except for an occasional sprinkle. The temperature stayed in the 40s and I started getting cool, since I had all the vents on my 'Stitch open. Traffic moved right along all the way to Morrison and the intersection with C-470. I rode 253 miles on 4.4 gallons, for a 57mpg average, calculated to boot.

I got home at 9:30 and was cool riding in the 70F degree temperature along I-76 to Fort Morgan. 968 miles for the weekend.

A couple of maintenance notes. The clutch cable that had started fraying probably failed because the ferrule (I think that's what it's called; it's the little metal "cup" on the end of the clutch cable housing) had split. The new cable, even though it's another NT cable has a smooth lead away from the handle. The old one had had a pretty acute bend and I had wondered how long it would hold. About 56,000 miles, I guess. :)

As I came out of Denver, it was getting dark and I realized that my low beam was burned out. I'll change that tomorrow with one of the brighter Phillips bulbs.

968 miles on the weekend. Thanks again to Rocky and Margi for hosting us. It was a great gathering and good to see some people again and others for the first time.

A week from tomorrow, Richard from OKC and I will meet at Briggsdale, NW of here, NE of Greeley where he'll spend the night, and ride to Spearfish together. We'll be going past (and probably stop at) Fort Laramie, and then up through some Wyoming back roads till we connect with US85 north of Lusk.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
A week from tomorrow, Richard from OKC and I will meet at Briggsdale, NW of here, NE of Greeley where he'll spend the night, and ride to Spearfish together. We'll be going past (and probably stop at) Fort Laramie, and then up through some Wyoming back roads till we connect with US85 north of Lusk
Are you meeting Richard or me or both of us?
Just curious

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Heck, Clay, I don't know. Maybe it's just you! I get sooo confused.

Is it you who's got the reservation at a motel in Greeley on Tuesday night?

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Ive been watching the weather for my ride beginning on Friday.
Looks like all three days I have planned in CO I have a 40% chance of getting wet
I have good raingear, but I dont like fooling with boot covers. I can handle anything Mother Nature throws my way so long as my feet dont get wet.
Hence, I am going to visit my local Cycle Gear today or tomorrow and buy some cheap BILT rainproof boots so I can just be ready.
They are all half off, so I might be able to get some for under $50

Top Bottom